We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Amateur radio  (Read 6484 times)

Matt285

Amateur radio
« on: March 21, 2019, 1608 UTC »
I spoke to Chris S in regards to having a board for posting ham radio reports and general discussion since I know there are quite a few operators that frequent the site. I will start out by kind of introducing myself. My name is Matt and I live in central Florida. When not listening to shortwave I enjoy operating HF 10-80m,typically CW about seventy percent of the time and SSB the other portion. I spend most of my time between 20,40,17 meters and particularly 30m when it's open for DX. My current set up is an ICOM 718,LDG pro tuner, OCF, dipole at 40' running 100 watts. I also operate QRP portable at times with my Hendricks PFR-3 . I would love to have regular interaction with other hams in regards to contacts, propagation, upcoming contest, DXpeditions, antennas and just sharing contacts we've made regardless if it DX or not. Any bands between 2m and 160 meters. Let me know what you guys think and please share.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Amateur radio
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 1611 UTC »
Great idea for a new board.  I'm curious if anyone would like to set up a semi regular SSTV net on 40 meters?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 1640 UTC »
I'm not very knowledgeable about SSTV myself, but it is certainly related to Amateur radio. I'm sure a lot of people would like to discuss digital modes as well. I don't operate digital modes, but I enjoy learning about everything EME, Satellites, VHF/UHF CWand SSB, FM, various types of propagation, QRP etc.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 1653 UTC »
7173 is the place to be for HAM 40m sstv, license class notwithstanding. Norm is there in the am spewing some analog mode as easypal seems in disuse these days, however easypal produces superior imagery. It got to the point that with hybrid mode, easypal just sent a url ota and the rx station would simply dl the image from a server somewhere, it used to be each pic was actually sent ota. Hybrid mode's the 40m version of irlp, disgusting.

Greetings HAM nerds!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 1711 UTC »
How common is SSTV currently? I don't here much about it. Seemed to be more common back in the Packet days.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 1815 UTC »
Downloading a file based of a URL sent via easypal isn't SSTV  :)

SSTV is still popular on 20m, 14230 has activity most of the day, although the lids calling CQ in voice take their toll. Quiet at night due to the low solar activity.

A few kHz up from 7173 is probably a reasonable place for SSTV, open to all license classes.

Speaking of SSTV, time to flog my app! https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sstv.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline SV1XV

• Athens, Greece
    • View Profile
    • SV1XV blog
Re: SSTV
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 1858 UTC »
How common is SSTV currently?
It is quite common on 20m. Main frequency is 14230 kHz, as Chris Smolinski wrote, but it's tricky to receive a complete image because of several stations transmitting over each other. During busy times (weekends) some operators move to 14227 and 14333 kHz.

There is some freeband SSTV on 27700 kHz but the band is closed due to poor propagation conditions these days. Also there is some occasional activity from the ISS space station on 145.8 MHz (FM).

The software I prefer is MMSSTV by Makoto Mori, JE3HHT (for MS Windows).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 1952 UTC »
20m has two freqs for sstv, one is analog, the other easypal. They're right next to each other, 14230 and 14233. The euros have a 40m sstv channel around 7171 or so, and are often heard by guys on 7173 stateside. And yes, a 40m channel for all with hf privs would make a lot of sense.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 2239 UTC »

A few kHz up from 7173 is probably a reasonable place for SSTV, open to all license classes.

All except the license classes that can only do CW on 40m.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 1029 UTC »
Beerus and I were exchanging SSTV on 40m a few months ago. With the uptick in solar activity, things might be decent this weekend, if anyone wants to give it a go. We can arrange a sked here, or perhaps better yet on the HFU rocketchat which would allow us to select the frequency in real time. I was going to say "hopefully no contests this weekend" but that would be like the Sun not rising.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 1946 UTC »
Do we have a ham radio channel on Rocket Chat, or will the congregation be at the SSTV one?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 1954 UTC »
Do we have a ham radio channel on Rocket Chat, or will the congregation be at the SSTV one?

We actually seem to have two, #ham and #hamtalk  :)   But I think #sstv might make the most sense if that's what we're doing?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 2013 UTC »
Back when I was into sstv, there were HAMs across the USA that kept rigs tuned to the various sstv watering holes 24/7, and you could view their copy online.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 2041 UTC »
We actually seem to have two, #ham and #hamtalk  :)   But I think #sstv might make the most sense if that's what we're doing?

Makes sense to me. I don't have my general ticket yet but should in the next couple of months, but that basically makes me a non voting member ATM. But I think it would be good because then folks can post their reception images those sending can see how they're being received.
Denver, CO.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 2053 UTC »
Great idea for a new board.  I'm curious if anyone would like to set up a semi regular SSTV net on 40 meters?

Yes! 40 meters is my go-to band with my current HF setup (ICOM 7300 and Alpha Loop antenna). I have both MMSSTV and EasyPal installed. If others besides myself are interested in your idea of a semi-regular SSTV net, please post dates and times and frequency and I'll most assuredly be there.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns