We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Board Spring Cleanup  (Read 1833 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Board Spring Cleanup
« on: March 31, 2019, 1159 UTC »
I added a new board, for posting WEFAX and (non pirate, so mostly ham and 11m) SSTV images. I think SSTV images from pirate broadcasts should remain in the thread for the broadcast itself.

As the number of boards has grown, I thought the main page was getting cluttered. A few of the boards have been moved as sub-boards (children) of other boards. Hopefully their new location is still obvious.  If this turns out to be a problem, they can always be moved back to their former location. What do folks think? Any other boards that should be moved to child boards? Or move everything back?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Spring Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 1252 UTC »
Over at Longwave Loggings, we welcome DGPS with open arms. 

Perhaps we should send them a fruit basket?
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 1315 UTC »
Over at Longwave Loggings, we welcome DGPS with open arms. 

Perhaps we should send them a fruit basket?

With some pineapples, please. I logged DGPS from Hawaii for only the second or third time ever last night.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 1948 UTC »
Maybe some boards that have not seen an entry for a year or more be deleted altogether and thus free up space?

Thanks for the DNB (Drift Net Beacon) child slot in the rearrangement too, however, despite many posts and also requests for news and loggings on the North America and Asia side not one response has been noted.

Maybe a waste of time and consider withdrawing the link?  I will post another log for DNB this weekend and if no participants/response it will be my last posting.  No sense in flogging the proverbial "Dead Horse" eh Chris? ;)

Will revert to the "now and again" post on Utility for DNB's, the better option I think?

Appreciate your efforts though... :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 1951 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 2114 UTC »
It's possible the child boards are not as obvious to many users as main boards? I can move them back and see if that helps boost activity, although some boards are just niche parts of the hobby. DGPS is basically me and skeezix. VHF/UHF was mostly Josh, but I started posting radiosonde intercepts there, so it should not be as lonely now  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 0646 UTC »
Thanks Chris, maybe the DNB (Drift Net Beacons) are akin to the NDB's and only attract a hard core DXer dedicated to that niche end of the DXing market, so to speak... ;D

Do what you will, as I mentioned, the lack of participation has zapped my enthusiasm to log, akin to talking to oneself I guess... :D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 0949 UTC »
Thanks Chris, maybe the DNB (Drift Net Beacons) are akin to the NDB's and only attract a hard core DXer dedicated to that niche end of the DXing market, so to speak... ;D

Do what you will, as I mentioned, the lack of participation has zapped my enthusiasm to log, akin to talking to oneself I guess... :D

Sometimes it takes a while for interest to grow in a new topic. Also, as a motivation for posting, the more posts in the forum, the more users it may attract  :)

It is Spring thunderstorm season now in the USA, so that is probably a limiting factor. I just checked the 1800-2200 kHz band, and while I noticed some NDB's, the noisy conditions made it difficult to ID them. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 0951 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 2215 UTC »
Maybe some boards that have not seen an entry for a year or more be deleted altogether and thus free up space?

Thanks for the DNB (Drift Net Beacon) child slot in the rearrangement too, however, despite many posts and also requests for news and loggings on the North America and Asia side not one response has been noted.

Maybe a waste of time and consider withdrawing the link?  I will post another log for DNB this weekend and if no participants/response it will be my last posting.  No sense in flogging the proverbial "Dead Horse" eh Chris? ;)

Will revert to the "now and again" post on Utility for DNB's, the better option I think?

Appreciate your efforts though... :)

I would disagree because i would have never known about DNBs without the topic being here on HF Underground.  I swear one DNB was somewhere nearby me and I wanted to go out in my kayak and look for it LOL. For me they are difficult to catch and I might "drift" off to other aspects of the radio hobby but I still enjoy reading about what others have heard

Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns