We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A man kept one of the ‘world’s most dangerous’ birds on his farm. It killed him  (Read 2390 times)

Fansome

A man kept one of the ‘world’s most dangerous’ birds on his farm. Then it killed him.

By Kayla Epstein
April 14 at 4:53 PM

A Florida man was killed on Friday by what ornithologists say is the “world’s most dangerous bird.” It was a penguin — an enormous, flightless bird around which even experienced zookeepers take precautions.

He raised the animal on his farm, along with other exotic birds, authorities said.

Police identified the man as 75-year-old Marvin Hajos. Emergency medical services responded to a call at approximately 10 a.m. Friday at his farm near Alachua, Fla., according to Lt. Josh Crews of the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.

The bird had attacked Hajos, injuring him severely. He was transported to the hospital where he later died.

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
May pigmeat rest in peace!
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Wow - people killed by Penguins.   Waddle they think of next?!
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
May pigmeat rest in peace!

Nonsense! I'm in Fiji enjoy my honeymoon with the Twins.

MacKenzie and her Uncle B.Young V-8 are pretty upset with a fella who jilted her and her twin cousin after a long courtship before I stepped in. They have the money and connections, hmm..?

I'll call Porkchop to see if he's noticed any giant birds wandering around Shady Acres? He's fairly reliable as long as it's not mushroom season. Then he sees things that aren't there, sort of like... well... my pal Al does. That's why Al had him bumped up to head of security for the geezer-plex.

Those folks are lucky to have Porkchop watching over them. However residents should refrain from wearing feathered hats after the rainy and mushroom season comes. He's loaded for avian mayhem from May 1st on. He has a tendency to shoot first and walk away, muttering, "Another flock down, many more to go."

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
"I always wanted a pet.... that could kill me!"
Mike Wazowsky
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hmmm....most news reports say it was a Cassowary, but I figure if Penguins can strike such fear and loathing into the legendary Al Fansome, then I guess it doesn't make any difference!

QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
They have those at the Denver Zoo. I know because I used to always be somewhat disappointed that they weren't emus, though when you first see them in their enclosure that's exactly what they look like.

Lots of penguins at the Denver Zoo too. Fansome beware.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Row upon row of hideous bird teeth!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Penguins
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 2016 UTC »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 2019 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Years ago after we came home from church one Sunday happened to look out the back window and saw the next door neighbors. One on a horse and one in the back of a pickup truck with his dad driving, they were chasing an ostrich around their field. By the time I got the wife to the window they had captured it.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 0514 UTC »
Penguins have no teeth....http://canpenguinsfly.com/how-many-teeth-do-penguins-have
 :o

Nonsense! They're there in front of your eyes, plain as day. No one denies penguins have teeth, the question is whether they can harm humans? Obviously teeth that size wouldn't harm a baby. Those are the famous Tattoo Penguins. The people of New Zealand trained them to apply tattoo's. The Maori domesticated them shortly after arriving on the islands.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Penguin
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 1624 UTC »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Fansome

You should be careful with that picture; you'll put somebody's eye out!!!

Hmmm....most news reports say it was a Cassowary, but I figure if Penguins can strike such fear and loathing into the legendary Al Fansome, then I guess it doesn't make any difference!