We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Enjoy your bacon  (Read 1763 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Enjoy your bacon
« on: April 19, 2019, 1554 UTC »
The "Bacon causes 20% increase in cancer" headlines seem to have been a case of more anti-meat fear mongering. A close examination of the findings shows insignificant risk for most. Enjoy your bacon, I did this morning with my breakfast.

From the article:

It’s much better to communicate the risk using the absolute value, i.e. that there was an 0.2% increased risk of colorectal cancer for eating an extra 3 rashers of bacon per day.

Not nearly as scary when I put it like that, is it?

To put it another way, about 4 people out of every 1,000 get bowel cancer. In a group of people who eat more than triple the normal amount of red and preserved meat, 6 out of 1,000 will get bowel cancer.

Much less scary, but much more meaningful.

Full article: https://medium.com/@gidmk/bacon-is-not-the-enemy-bd861c2adac9
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Enjoy your bacon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 1847 UTC »
Wich brings up another point.

Averages.

My dad went through chemo and rads for SUSPECTED prostrate cancer. He had radioactive isotopes placed in his nards and went through a round of hormone pills that, along with the threat of cancer, made him cry at the dumbest things.

Anyway, I asked him after it was all over if he had looked at the stats for men dying of prostrate cancer and he said yes, and I had too years ago as I was in ems and transported patients for prostrate treatment often. I said ok so how many men actually live long enough to die from prostrate cancer? And he said 1 percent. He went through all of that, rads in his nards, female hormones, daily trips to the health pavilion (a veritable pavilion of health!) probably for nothing and likely injuring his health because rads in nards and female hormones probably aren't very good for a man.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 2121 UTC »
Breakfast is served!

QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 0331 UTC »
Josh, I had great Uncle who was diagnosed with it in his late 60's. He died at 96 of a stroke. He and his brother raised hogs, had their own little smokehouse. Every breakfast we all ate least a half pound of bacon before heading out. (The plain white bread and bacon sandwich is the true breakfast of champions.) The other brother had a massive stroke at 63, was given no chance to live. He walked out of the hospital three weeks later, was doing light farm after a couple of months and died in his orchard at the age of 83, ornery as the Devil until the end.

In fact, I knew a man whose first name was Bacon. Same epic lifespan as my great-Uncle's and he had a live arm well into his 80's. You didn't want to ride your bike by his house on a hot summer day and make fun of him sitting on his porch in his drawers, he'd bop you with whatever he had handy. He had a sister who could grow a beard. She lived next to him and was the brains of the outfit.

I exaggerate in some of my tales here, but Bacon and his sister scared the living Hell out every kid who had to go past their houses. You never knew what would set them off, and you sure as heck didn't know what Bacon was throwing that day.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 1842 UTC »
Sounds about right. That being said, when they finally find the pancreatic cancer in a victim, it's usually only when they have about two weeks or less to live.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 1336 UTC »
Took a pal of mine. He was dead within five weeks of biopsy and diagnosis. It almost seems like doing the biopsy ticks pancreatic cancer off? Nasty stuff.

He was a damned good guy, we used to have lot of fun together.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns