We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Software for WEFAX/SSTV?  (Read 5230 times)

Offline mondomusique

• Halifax, NS, CANADA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Software for WEFAX/SSTV?
« on: October 16, 2011, 1455 UTC »
I want to try getting some WEFAX maps on my Windows XP computer.  Any recommended software for this task?  Hopefully something free or under $20 if shareware.  I have the cable ready to hook the Palstar to the laptop.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 2356 UTC by mondomusique »
Afedri sdr, Palstar radio, Wellbrook antenna
eQSLs: djprincehifi@yahoo.ca

Offline mondomusique

• Halifax, NS, CANADA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Software for WEFAX/SSTV?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 2317 UTC »
I ended up using a free program called WXSAT and decoded WeFAX weather maps from 9110 khz USB and 12750 khz USB (both NOAA Boston).

Some instructions for WXSAT are here: http://www.newearth.demon.co.uk/radio/hfwefax1.htm  The most obscure trick is that you have tune down 1.9 khz to receive the data properly.

I also had the September 2011 issue of Monitoring Times magazine which had a few good articles on WEFAX.

WXSAT does not do SSTV, however, so that will wait or another day.  Suggestions for SSTV receive software?
Afedri sdr, Palstar radio, Wellbrook antenna
eQSLs: djprincehifi@yahoo.ca

Offline uhclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 2345 UTC »
I've used Digital Master 780, part of Ham Radio Deluxe for SSTV and it works pretty well, will also decode CW, PSK31, Olivia, Hellschrieber, RTTY and more. It also has a pretty waterfall display. I don't know if anything else works better 'cause I haven't tried anything else...

http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

Offline rchateauneu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 1558 UTC »
I want to try getting some WEFAX maps on my Windows XP computer.  Any recommended software for this task?  Hopefully something free or under $20 if shareware.  I have the cable ready to hook the Palstar to the laptop.

Fldigi does Wefax on all sorts of platforms, but not SSTV (Yet). Free and open-source.

BOR

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 2310 UTC »
Seatty works pretty good. I believe you can use it for 30 days before you have to register it. It's about $40 to register so it might be out of your range. It will also allow you to receive RTTY and Navtex.

Cheers....BOR

Offline vinoul

• Chicagoland - NW Suburbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 0840 UTC »
Multipsk will do both of them I believe... The interface isn't the prettiest looking, but hey it's free, and will decode all kinds of digimodes...

http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

:D

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 1124 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree