We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 2008 Documentary "Pirate Radio USA"  (Read 1665 times)

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
2008 Documentary "Pirate Radio USA"
« on: October 20, 2011, 1807 UTC »
No idea if our usual scene players got any screen time on this: Achim posted the link over on Google Plus and I thought re-share. This appears to have been released in 2008; just posting for General interest.

=======================================================
http://oxfordinternational.bside.com/2008/films/pirateradiousa_oxfordinternational

Pirate Radio USA is a feature length digital documentary about the underground world of illegal radio in America, where people play what they want and say what they want—unless the FCC catches them…
DJ’s Him and Her, from their live Pirate Radio USA Studio, take you on a rock –n-roll journey inside rogue radio stations across the country to see why Americans defy Federal Law to free the radio airwaves.

On the way see the rise of Big Media, the growth of Citizen Media to encounter it, and witness their showdown over the truth during the 1999 World Trade Organization meetings in Seattle.

Pirate Radio USA was broadcast-- or really microcast-- with a 4 watt transmitter live, as an uninterrupted radio program. The effect will be to ‘see’ a live pirate radio microcast about pirate radio: a first.

See the battle to free the airwaves live-- and find out the real price of freedom.

It’s not about Left vs. Right, it's about Big vs. Small.

Director Jeff Pearson and Producer Mary Jones will be in attendance for Q&A after the film.
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: 2008 Documentary "Pirate Radio USA"
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 1506 UTC »
I have a copy of this.  It is mostly about the microradio movement in the 90s-- i.e. low-power FM pirates.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2008 Documentary "Pirate Radio USA"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 2343 UTC »
I found it to be over-the-top in the "yarrrr!" quotient, but otherwise a good doc. DJs Him and Her have a pretty long history in the Seattle microradio scene. And they credited me as "historical consultant," so I can't really beef too loud ;)

Another good microradio doc, called Making Waves, is also worth a watch.