We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FDA Finds High Systemic Absorption of Sunscreen Ingredients  (Read 1300 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
FDA Finds High Systemic Absorption of Sunscreen Ingredients
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/912651?src=soc_tw_190506_mscpedt_news_mdscp_sunscreen&faf=1

"Matta and colleagues found that on day 1 after 4 applications, 23 of 24 subjects had systemic concentrations greater than 0.5 ng/mL for all active ingredients in the formulation applied. This is the Threshold of Toxicological Concern (TTC) FDA adopted to approximate the highest plasma level below which the carcinogenic risk of any unknown compound would be less than 1 in 100,000 after a single dose.

Systemic levels above 0.5 ng/mL were reached quickly: within 6 hours after the first application of avobenzone, 2 hours after application of oxybenzone, and 6 hours after application of octocrylene.

Moreover, the concentration of the agents continued to increase over time, indicating drug accumulation. With avobenzone, the maximum plasma concentration was 4.3 ng/mL at 67.5 hours with one formulation, whereas the maximum oxybenzone reached was 209.6 ng/mL at 57.0 hours with a different formulation."

Meanwhile... a higher fat (aka ketogenic or Mediterranean diet) seems to offer protection from the Sun:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20137053/

When you look at graphs of skin cancer rates, they have been increasing since the early 70s, coinciding with the push to a low fat diet. And people used used to spend a *lot* more time outside ("unprotected") than they do today, yet the rates were dramatically lower.  Whether it's a protective effect of the higher fat diets we used to eat, or a negative effect of the higher carbohydrate diets (aka the "plant based diets" being pushed today) is a good question.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: FDA Finds High Systemic Absorption of Sunscreen Ingredients
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 2011 UTC »
When I was a kid no one (that I knew) used sunscreen since we were all playing outside all the time and already tan. Today things are quite the opposite.

Now if only skin cancer grew $100 dollar bills instead.....
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: FDA Finds High Systemic Absorption of Sunscreen Ingredients
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 1729 UTC »
Yup, and we had Hawaiian Tropic girls in bars on regular tours showing off the results of that fine product in teeny string bikinis. Tan lines, a magnificent sight on a woman who kept herself in shape were there to be seen by any man who managed to bed her. It was great time on the Planet Earth.

I still don't use sunscreen. After the first burn I brown up quickly, both sides of the family have a touch of Native-American ancestry, not the Liz Warren kind, and it shows with our black hair and tendency not to burn much. I had a friend, a big blonde guy who could get severe sunburns through a car window or a shirt in the pre-sunscreen days. He had about the worst reaction to the sun I've ever seen. If you need it, use it.

For you folks who've wondered, "Do Black people tan?" Yes they do. I had a medium-dark skinned girlfriend in my late teens. She would go to visit her grandparents down south when school was out. You could tell what she'd been wearing there by the lighter skin where she'd been covered by her clothes and shades. I liked it, but then I liked it anytime she was naked or close to it.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns