We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dayton Ham convention  (Read 3999 times)

Fansome

Dayton Ham convention
« on: May 07, 2019, 2129 UTC »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Dayton Ham convention
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 2225 UTC »
"AL6FAN" does not appear in the Callsign Database
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 0025 UTC »
I'm sure it's just a mixup, perhaps a clerical error.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 0939 UTC »

Shouldn't that be 'AL3FAN'?  8)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 1052 UTC »
Try AL0FAN, that should work.

Are you going to be selling "Catfish On A Stick" from your food truck in the parking lot this year, Al? Ham's will eat absolutely anything with breading & hot sauce on it.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 1852 UTC »
All right, who's going to this most glorious of armature radio extravaganzas? I miss Hara, the arena seats where designed back when the average American wasn't morbidly obese, but I hear the new place is very nice and with a greatly reduced chance for a poop geyser eruption. I might go if they grant me vacation this year, haven't been since 2008 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSD00ii6R8
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 1854 UTC by Josh »

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 2116 UTC »
Actually, I'm bringing back the "Bass-O-Matic". It's sure to be a big hit on those hot, sweaty afternoons, with all the hams packed into close quarters.

Are you going to be selling "Catfish On A Stick" from your food truck in the parking lot this year, Al? Ham's will eat absolutely anything with breading & hot sauce on it.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 2149 UTC »
I was there last in '17 I think, the first year at the new grounds in Greene County.  It seemed like every year I was there, I got badly sunburned.  Served me right for running around with a mohawk...

Plus add to all that the variability of the weather...tornadoes or snow, no in between.

+-RH

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 1705 UTC »
Plus add to all that the variability of the weather...tornadoes or snow, no in between.

+-RH

Welcome to Ohio! The Natives told the White settlers it wasn't safe in what's now the Dayton-Xenia area. It was cursed and often hit by huge storms. Did they listen? No.

That area has had nasty tornado's for centuries as the original locals knew. The next time it's flattened , the Federal Govt.  should plow it under and plant corn.

How does the the "Yellow Springs Hamfest" sound? Dave Chappelle lives there. You know it's a lively place with him out there. It's wouldn't be cluttered by old farts clogging the aisles on Rascal Scooters. In Yellow Springs, it's customized golf carts or nothing.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 1729 UTC »
Actually, I'm bringing back the "Bass-O-Matic". It's sure to be a big hit on those hot, sweaty afternoons, with all the hams packed into close quarters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BassOmatic

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 1838 UTC »
I was there last in '17 I think, the first year at the new grounds in Greene County.  It seemed like every year I was there, I got badly sunburned.  Served me right for running around with a mohawk...

+-RH

Redhat, when I was around 22 the hair on my scalp decided it was time to desert me, the the traitors. I wore a sun visor and shades to the first home football game of the year. It was broiling hot, cloudless day, the first Saturday after Labor Day. The student section was exposed to the sun all day long, the other side, full of big donors was shaded by a new multi-story press box. I had thick black hair and hadn't noticed the hair loss. I took the visor off after the game and thought, "Man, my scalp feels funny, I must have had that visor on too tight?"

About three days later I took a shower and went to the sink to shave and brush my hair, these big flakes of skin start coming off of my head. I'm thinking, "This is the worst case of dandruff I've ever had!" I ask a buddy of mine who is in his first year of med school to take a look? He gave the top of my head a once over and said, "You're going bald, bud. You can wave goodbye to that dark wavy hair." I felt like a man on death row knowing my time was up. That hair was my main weapon for pulling girls.

There was silver lining that came along in the form of the 2-Tone Ska craze. I went suedehead like most of those guys. No one noticed the creeping loss of hair.

That semester I faked an English accent and pulled these two Cali girls in a pop band that played the Homecoming Dance, Jane and Belinda. God, they fought over me! I understand Belinda got fat & married a food truck operator. Jane and I still talk, but both women's lips are sealed when it comes to talking about me in public due to court orders.

Now you know the rest of story.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 0755 UTC »
I had a mohawk on and off for about 7 years, various colors, but blue was my favorite.  I started developing 'racing stripes' around 25 and pretty much knew what was ahead, so I decided to keep the hawk until there wasn't enough left.  Eventually I traded the hawk for baseball caps, and I like baseball caps so no real loss there.  Plus I haven't had to pay for a haircut in over a decade, so there's that...

None of my cousins kept their hair either so I'm in good company :)

+-RH
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 0802 UTC by redhat »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 1705 UTC »
Don't forget to check out the TIS Station there on 1620kHz. See just how far you can get that.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.