We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 7535 USB SESEF  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
7535 USB SESEF
« on: May 16, 2019, 2108 UTC »
7535 TX tests via SESEF 1330Z 16MAY19
SESEF Norfolk in contact with HOME STATE(?)

"SESEF this is HOME STATE with USB transmitter 7 test, receiver 2, black box 1, how copy over"

"HOME STATE this is SESEF Norfolk, I have you weak readable, standing by for LSB, over"

"SESEF, this is HOME STATE with LSB transmitter 7 test, receiver 2, black box 1, how copy over"

"HOME STATE this is SESEF Norfolk, I have you weak readable, standing by for AM, over"

SESEF tests each calling US warship for USB, LSB, ISB and AM, FSK/Digital mode efficacy.

What is SESEF one might ask?
https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/Warfare-Centers/NUWC-Newport/What-We-Do/Detachments/Shipboard-Electronics-Systems-Evaluation-Facility/
https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Portals/103/Documents/NUWC_Newport/SESEF/SESEF_About.pdf

This facility assists new/shakedown and refitted ships with their electronics that require remote correspondence. Most USN vessels carry a multitude of transmitters and receivers that need to be verified for performance. Fun fact, if you get to view the radio room in a modern US warship you won't be seeing many knobs, most all is done via a pc controlling sdr receivers and transmitters over a network.

They're often active weekdays, other freqs are;

SESEF facilities are located in;
SESEF Norfolk, Fort Story, VA
SESEF Mayport, Mayport FL
SESEF San Diego, San Diego CA
SESEF Ediz Hook, Keyport WA
SESEF Hawaii, Waianae HI
SESEF Yokosuka, Yokosuka Japan

Comms start out in USB, I suspect 7535 gets the most traffic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 1812 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.