We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DNB CI7 2.308MHz in for hours, propagtion type?  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
DNB CI7 2.308MHz in for hours, propagtion type?
« on: May 21, 2019, 0834 UTC »
Today I came across CI7 on 2.308MHz CW transmitting continuous at the rather early hour of 0430z, which is 2.30pm local time in broad afternoon daylight with the Grey Line across the Pacific a long time off. The signal report was 419-519 but clearly audible.

The beacon is still audible at 0830z with a signal of 559 peaking 579 which is quite strong.

CI7 was not alone either with BH4 on 2.205MHz CW also noted in continuous transmission mode around the same time, similar signal report.

I am around 110kms direct line to nearest coast thus very far from the ocean where these beacons are. Also there is a mountain range inbetween.

Not a bad little effort from two low powered DNB's bobbing about in the Pacific, possibly off the coast of Sydney NSW would be the best bet I think.

Groundwave is probably the answer I think, but would appreciate comments from fellow HFU DXers. ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 0410 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: DNB CI7 2.308MHz in for hours, propagtion type?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 1013 UTC »
It's winter down there, so I would expect the band to behave very similar to the upper end of the MW band. Here, I easily get daytime DX on that band of a similar range from TIS stations running 10 watts in AM mode. Reception of a several watt CW beacon seems quite plausible.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 0415 UTC »
Just tuned to LD0 on 2.748 and it's been there Chris since 1.30pm local time or 0330z peaking 569 report, went to maps and the direct path from my place to the ocean is 110kms (68 miles) and there is the Blue Mountains between me and the coast, hard to figure.

Cannot hear any other beacons so I think LD0 must be off the coast of NSW between Wollongong to the south and Newcastle to the north.  Peaking 599 report at 0550z and still only DNB audible, strange... :)

Band was wide open last night/this morning and heard a lot of Asian chatter on 2MHz mostly Japanese and Korean plus one Chinese, trawlers out there somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 0552 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 2244 UTC »
Groundwave is probably the answer I think, but would appreciate comments from fellow HFU DXers. ;)

It was probably not groundwave.

It was simply NVIS (Near Vertical Incidence Skywave) propagation, very common via the F-layer of the ionosphere.
NVIS usually doesn't extend more than about 650 km (400 miles), so perhaps the DNB was within that distance from your receiver.

See this image of the Digisonde from your nearby Canberra ionosonde, for the time interval of your report.
The squiggly solid horizontal line in the bottom left side of the graph shows the zenith reflective F layer was good for NVIS propagation in the 1.74 MHz (fmin)  to 5.670MHz (foF2)  range.

For other dates and times, see this link to the Canberra ionosonde:
https://lgdc.uml.edu/common/DIDBYearListForStation?ursiCode=CB53N
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 2157 UTC by Exo »
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns