We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Antenna suggestions needed  (Read 1346 times)

Offline mmoss2112

• View Profile
    • Email
Antenna suggestions needed
« on: June 21, 2019, 1708 UTC »
I live in a subdivision that has an H.O.A. So I need to conceal the antenna from view from the front of the house and sides. In the back yard my house backs up to a street so I have no neighbors. There is an easement that has tree's and power lines above them starting about 5ft from the back yard fence. In my attic the inside has radiant barrier insulation installed.

Also, I live in an area that is near to the Gulf of Mexico so hurricanes are an issue. I guess this link shows the typical house in my subdivision. http://hflink.com/antenna/. Sort of like the Backyard Broadband Delta Loop antenna example sort of at the bottom of the website. I have various shortwave radio's and at the present time just want to receive and not transmit. So I would like to cover that from .5 - 30 Mhz if at all possible.

So what are my best options for an antenna and mount ? 

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Antenna suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 1731 UTC »
The Wireman sells a thin-gauge stranded wire with a black coating that is essentially invisible from more than 20' away.  Any loop, horizontal or vertical, or longwire made from this should work.  If you decide you want to transmit, you can rig a covert hoist line with camo or other nature-colored paracord for quickly raising and lowering either self-supporting wire verticals, or dipoles in an inverted-V configuration (one hoist) or even flattop (three hoists.) You can easily hide radial wires and coax in your lawn, and only raise/lower a wire vertical each time you operate.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 1748 UTC »
If the hoa politburo/reichstag allows one, flag poles can make for dandy verticals and no one has to know but you. Another fav with the hoa set is a loop of wire tacked under the eaves of the dwelling, entirely encompassing that dwelling, fed with coax or even twisted pair.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 1810 UTC »
How much ground area do you have? I would consider a LoG (loop on ground). If correctly installed, neither the HOA nor picky XYL will even know it is there.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree