We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Malta 6940 AM blues  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Radio Malta 6940 AM blues
« on: October 31, 2011, 0450 UTC »
10/31/11, 6940 AM,0347z: Heard a fairly steady but weak carrier near 6940 on home receiver but no audio.  Tried various Global Tuners remotes and one in N. Carolina was best.  Heard several familiar old school electric guitar blues songs, clear IDs for Radio Malta around 0421z and 0440z.  Very choppy conditions due to weather off Atlantic coast so I had to listen for awhile to catch clear IDs.

Surprised I even got a carrier here at home in Texas on an indoor loop.  Via NC tuner, I'd guesstimate SINPO=44233, good clear peaks, very choppy QRN, finally faded to barely audible around 0450z.  Audio sounded very good.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

HTP

Re: Radio Malta 6940 AM blues
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 1521 UTC »
That's great to hear and I hope to receive them one day soon.  I've been to Malta twice when I was younger.  So I really hope to be able to listen in if conditions are kind to me. 

Offline Alex_in_West_Virginia

• West-by-God-Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 1808 UTC »
When I was on Iann's europirate chat group (http://www.easyshopdiscountzone.com/radio/pirate/english/) last Friday, the op was on.  Turns out he's an old friend, who in the past operated R. Barretina, Camping Radio, and Cactus Jack Radio (http://www.cactusjackradio.blogspot.com/).  He used to be in Catalunya (worked at a radio stn. there), but I have also been fortunate to have heard and e-QSL'd broadcasts he had made when travelling in Andorra, Canary Islands, and Balearic Islands, all very rare countries now to log/QSL.
So I doubt that he's actually in Malta.  ;)

Offline Alex_in_West_Virginia

• West-by-God-Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 0008 UTC »
He's on 6952 right now.  E-mail from him did confirm still Catalunya QTH.