We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: That '70s gadget, the CB, hangs on! Chicago Tribune article.  (Read 1997 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: That '70s gadget, the CB, hangs on! Chicago Tribune article.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 2347 UTC »
I scan it from time to time. Aside from the occasional skip from down south, I've not been hearing anything. Perhaps it's time to put more energy into it.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 0057 UTC »
One good emp or coronal mass ejection and the lowly cb will become the country's party line.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 0154 UTC »
The article is from August of 2008.   Can you even buy these things anymore?
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 0010 UTC »
Sure can still buy these things.

I have a scanner with me in the car and have it set to scan the CB band, among other things. The skip is pointless and highly annoying, but there are some around the Minneapolis area that are on the band. Its especially fun when a group from a company are  on the way back to the shop. One could almost say a tiny convoy, but they're more of a collection of vehicles going the same direction with incessant & non-stop complaining. Still fun to listen to.

There is another company in the south metro that actually use it for trucks delivering their product.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 0804 UTC »
Here where I live even the CB band is dead. It died when skip went south about 5 years ago. Then again, the spectrum above 14 Mhz went south. I think a lot of preppers still have CB's, and I know they're still available online.

Like Josh said, one national disaster and CB's will come out of closets and garages and people will be using them.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 0857 UTC »
A nearby truckstop always has a variety of CB's and related accessories for sale. That's where I get my coax and connectors. Nothing but Belden on the latter two.

I don't know if it's still the same way with connectors and coax, but I was stunned the first time I walked in to look their coax over.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 1938 UTC »
I've posted the same thing on The FRN, but asked if anyone remember that 'Good Times' episode where Bookman ditched a CB away from his 'ol lady. Boomer found it on Youtube!    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TBOp7XtOz4   Yep, CB is very affordable today, no monthly bill, can work anywhere that cell phone can't, and you can be almost anyone you want to on it. What's old is new again? So, ya think that Millennials will catch back on it?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 2056 UTC »
There's an app for that...    :P

https://androidappsforme.com/cb-radio-apps-for-android/

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 2108 UTC »
Haven't heard any local CB here in at least 5 years although I still see the odd CB aerial on the boy racer cars, just for show as they're not plugged into anything  8)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 2200 UTC »
Quite a few local CBers here, several of them found my KiwiSDR and use it to check their signal  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 1815 UTC »
CB is alive and well, although a lot more so in some places vs. others.  Even just having mobile CB gear and a few handheld FRS radios puts one several steps ahead if/when the North Koreans explode a high-altitude nuke over the middle of the country and knock out the power grid with the resultant EMP. 

In rural areas, its still quite popular and more often than not, installed in pickup trucks, etc.  I have seen many an Antron-99 (and similar vertical CB base station antennas) installed on many a farmhouse. 

There is a slow migration from CB (read: export radios with extra channels and amplifiers) and/or the VHF marine band to licensed VHF business band frequencies as far as the hunting clubs in my area go but there's still a lot of them who still use CB as a fall-back.

It's what a certain state government emergency management communications official I knew once called "redneck interoperability".  Yes, you certainly can still buy them and they are producing/developing new radios all the time.  The state police actually have a Cobra CB as part of their communications equipment installed in their mobile command posts, and the state DOT motorist assistance trucks have CBs installed for listening to channel 19 (and talking to truckers, when required). 

With a proper antenna and use of SSB, CB, even at modest power levels, provides excellent range.   The sheer number of radios out there also cements the usefulness in an emergency situation.  This could also be said about FRS/GMRS...there are just a lot of radios in the hands of a lot of people. 

Local CB around me exists in both AM and SSB forms, with the SSB operators operating both within and above the CB frequencies, depending on if the band is open (when the skip comes rolling in, they change frequencies).  I have heard local AM CB chatter on the "lowers" too, but that seemed to be hunting club related comms and not a regular net. 

Also truckers.  And kids with Jeeps.  And preppers.  Even snobbish ham operators...  CB isn't going anywhere. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 1820 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 1859 UTC »
A lot of 4x4 (=16) guys and gals use cb to talk whilst trail riding. Had a Francis Wheeler Dealer .25wl antennae on the Samurai, people told me it looked like an rc car.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 1937 UTC »
CB "Online"

http://romasdr.ddns.net/

also

http://virtual-cbfunk.de/

André
CoolAM Radio
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 2053 UTC by CoolAM Radio »
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 1959 UTC »
A lot of 4x4 (=16) guys and gals use cb to talk whilst trail riding. Had a Francis Wheeler Dealer .25wl antennae on the Samurai, people told me it looked like an rc car.

Ahh, yes, the 102" (or 108") stainless steel whip, 1/4 wave for CB.  Pretty hard to beat as a mobile antenna, especially with the massive spring at the bottom.  :D

Yes, you can still buy CB radios and yes people still use CB radios.  Here are some of the newer CB radios on the market:

Ranger (RCI) Superstar SS-158FB4.  The SS 158FB4 is the latest incarnation of the famous Superstar 3900 series radios, this all-mode AM/FM/SSB beast includes a built-in amplifier and is rated at 100w carrier/400w PEP AM/SSB and covers has 12 bands to choose from covering 24.265 MHz to 29.655 MHz.  An easy mod can change that to 24.715 MHz to 30.105 MHz, giving the operator full coverage of the 12 meter ham band, the 10 meter ham band, the CB band and all frequencies in between:

https://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/ranger/Ranger_SS-158FB4.htm

Uniden Bearcat CMX560 - hide the radio itself under your seat and control everything from the handset/microphone.  Designed for very small vehicles and off-road/Jeep applications.  40 channel FCC approved 4 watt AM carrier power.

https://www.bellscb.com/products/cbradios/uniden/Uniden_Bearcat_CMX560.htm

Uniden Bearcat CMX660 - tiny 40 channel 4 watt AM CB radio designed to fit in modern, small vehicles and for off-road purposes (read: install this in your Jeep, bro).  This radio is quite small, 4 inches wide, 1 inch tall and 4 inches deep.

https://www.bellscb.com/products/cbradios/uniden/Uniden_Bearcat_CMX660.htm

Stryker SR-25MC (available under a dozen other brand names and model numbers, I believe it is a rebranded Anytone) - coming in at a tiny 4.9 inches wide, 1.4 inches tall and 4 inches deep! this clearly-designed-for-the-Russian-taxi-drivers 11 meter export CB radio covers the usual 240 channels - 25.615 MHz to 28.305 MHz AM/FM modes. 

https://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/Stryker/Stryker_SR-25MC.htm

Ranger (RCI - the company that builds Galaxy, Ranger, Superstar, Connex, Mirage, etc. radios), Uniden, Cobra and the various Chinese companies wouldn't be putting the money into designing and building new radios if the market wasn't there. 

The SR-25MC (and others) are examples of several dozen Chinese AM/FM export rigs that have flooded the market over the past few years.  Here's a list of the current models produced by Chinese radio manufacturer Anytone: 

http://cbradio.nl/anytone/anytone.htm

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 1500 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns