We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Google Just Gave 2 Billion Chrome Users A Reason To Switch To Firefox  (Read 1307 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Google is planning to restrict modern ad blocking Chrome extensions to enterprise users only, according to 9to5Google. This is despite a backlash to an announcement by Google in January proposing changes that will stop certain ad blockers from working efficiently.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/05/30/google-just-gave-2-billion-chrome-users-a-reason-to-switch-to-firefox/#48e8eb8c751f
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
"Be Evil"
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
My wife bought a Chrome book about two weeks ago. She used my Windows machine to set up the wireless. I came down to see Chrome on my box and nearly had a stroke. Thank God, good ol' Firefox was still there to exorcise the Chrome Demon.

The wife will love to hear this news nearly as much as I was to see Google Chrome on the ol' Winder's Box.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Well, that's a shame. Firefox was a good browser for many years, but has become a bloated, slow moving beast and I've been using Chrome instead on my Windows laptop (a necessary evil - at least until the macOS version of SDRuno becomes reality) for that reason. Maybe there will be enough of an outcry to head this off, but I'm pretty pessimistic about that.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Husband; You know, I'm beginning think these social media companies are spying on us for the government.

Wife; You sound ridiculous with all that conspiracy talk, where do you come up with these things?!?

Alexa; Ha. Hahahahaha.

Siri; Heh.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
Firefox still works OK in Linux. It comes preinstalled in most distros. Switch your homepage to duckduckgo.com and you're all set. I have had my computer on public wifi 24/7 for years and had zero problems.    :)

It also lets you override web page colors witch is important for me.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Husband; You know, I'm beginning think these social media companies are spying on us for the government.

Wife; You sound ridiculous with all that conspiracy talk, where do you come up with these things?!?

Alexa; Ha. Hahahahaha.

Siri; Heh.

They're spying all right, but they're data mining for dollars. Please buy a radio from Amazon. Gooble gobble gooble gobble one of us, one of us.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns