We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AIR to go off the air?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
AIR to go off the air?
« on: June 07, 2019, 2155 UTC »

Partial India Radio may have to become Double-Shift India Radio, hope Sanjay can handle it....

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/air-may-have-to-power-off-short-wave-transmissions/article27584333.ece
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 0848 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline jta

• View Profile
Re: AIR to go off the air?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 2318 UTC »
That doesn't make any sense. Didn't they just spend a boatload of money to upgrade all their transmitters?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 1057 UTC »

Partial India Radio may have to become Double-Shift India Radio, hope Sanjay can handle it....

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/air-may-have-to-power-off-short-wave-transmissions/article27584333.ece

Piece of cake. There isn't anything those lads can't do, by Shiva's shorts!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 1937 UTC »
I can't see it either, considering how many Indians still get their news/entertainment via radio.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 0619 UTC »
Wave of the future, unfortunately.

China probably keeps SW on partly to keep their SW people employed. A leftover of communism.

I used to love tuning in to AIR transmissions in the early part of the last decade, and even heard them a few times before the sunspots disappeared earlier in this decade, on my G2 off the whip.

Now I suppose by the time the spots come back it will be one less country to hear. Oh well.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 1431 UTC »
Last I heard was it still being debated by the Indian Parliament and no outcome as yet, be a pity to see them go as I like many of their documentary and music programmes.
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 1903 UTC »
This will go as smoothly as trying to force a third world nation o 1.3 billion to go cashless.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns