We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Gear prices  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Gear prices
« on: June 14, 2019, 2122 UTC »
Lately I've seen a lot of HAM rigs come waaaaaay down in price, mostly after the release of the IC7300. Icom priced the 7300 so low it wiped out the used market, often a used 7300 goes for less than $900, very tempting. So with the used market going flat I come across this;
W314 Icom IC-756Pro   $439.95
HF/VHF Amateur Transceiver
https://www.universal-radio.com/used/used7.html
The display is dim but there's a led replacement for the cfl that's fairly cheap and not too absurd to install. I've seen Pro original models with good displays going for $550 on qth.

The same dsp chips in the JRC NRD545 are inside the Icom 756Pro series so performance will be very similar in a lot of ways, and as a plus the Pros transmit 100w hf thru 6m, yet the NRD545 still commands a fairly high price, does not offer the fantastic fish finder every pro features, and is rx only.
That being said, they're my fav JRC and I've spent time with all of them from the 505 to the 545.

I note the Drake R8A/B also seems to be holding up in perceived value.

Don't even mention the likes of the RX340 or similar gov/commercial offerings, they still command several thousand dollars in the used market yet don't have a fish finder. A lowly $25 RTL V3 has more raw capability, only lacking in dynamic range, that the WJ1000s and RX340s.
https://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold004.html
https://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold605.html
A RTL V3 also can do multiple virtual receivers unlike the WJ and TT RX340 that only offer memories, I've had ten vrx up and operating with a lowly old pc and RTL V3.

Anyway, just some observations and wondering why rx boxen seem to be so overvalued compared to HAM rigs or similar or even greater performance and features.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Gear prices
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 2125 UTC »
Sony portable radios have gone for > $1K

Radio collectors are a mystery to me

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 2131 UTC »
LOl oh yeah I forgot about the Sony cult, remember the one that did fax reception and printed it on paper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwF0Z-1fVDs

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 2139 UTC »
LOl oh yeah I forgot about the Sony cult, remember the one that did fax reception and printed it on paper?

Just $12K Canadian Tire Dollars! https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CRF-V21-shortwave-radio/293062083901
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 2200 UTC »
Something like just under $10,000 USD.  Just imagine what other radio equipment one could buy with "Approximately US $9,006.65"  8)

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 2203 UTC »
Something like just under $10,000 USD.  Just imagine what other radio equipment one could buy with "Approximately US $9,006.65"  8)

I wonder what it is like to own that cool radio with the built in fax printer. But never be able to use it, because the special fax paper is unobtanium, and you only have enough left for 3 pictures.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 2229 UTC »
For the portable fans out there...

https://youtu.be/u4c6Uh8ldkA

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 2259 UTC »
My other hobby is electronic music production. Radio collectors have nothing on analog purists. You might be able to purchase modern radios that outmatch the overpriced vintage units, but you can purchase outright circuit for circuit synth clones, some of which have similar physical stylings and even so, the collectors still shell out top dollar for the originals.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 2317 UTC »

Just $12K Canadian Tire Dollars! https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CRF-V21-shortwave-radio/293062083901

I recall reading an ad in MT when those things went on surplus from some embassy or whatever it was that had them, still several kilodollas but nowhere near their original price. I have to admit I'm impressed by their shielded modular construction, I presume they are decent performers rfwise. That being said, I've always wanted a IC7800, if I just had the tax dollars. Also a 2010 often sells closer to $300 than $200. And they have wooly audio!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 0010 UTC by Josh »

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 0036 UTC »
I think "audiophiles" and "stereophiles" take the cake on gear stupidity (and ignorance in electronics). They  don't blink or cry over  $20,000 for a turntable, but even worse, they actually think a $100 gold-plated USB cable will "sound better" than one for $0.50.

[It's great to argue with these guys. I've done it. There are numerous approaches and jokes. The stereophile guys are a religion though.]

Still, $2-300 for a '2010 in _any_ condition is totally ludicrous.  I liked mine, before it started having those issues that any portable that old will have, it would make a nice $10 thrift store score now.

Josh, did you ever try that chinese radio that looked like an imitation Elecraft? I can't remember the name of it now, it was many moons/threads ago you mentioned it.
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 2117 UTC »
"Josh, did you ever try that chinese radio that looked like an imitation Elecraft? I can't remember the name of it now, it was many moons/threads ago you mentioned it."

https://www.amazon.com/RECENT-RS-918SSB-SDR-HAM-Transceiver/dp/B072155421

I've been waiting for them to get to a level of design I feel is commensurate with the price they command right now - or they drop the price to something more commensurate with their design. Some of them have very limited dynamic range but have a lovely fishfinder, and most all of them are under 20w output and don't have an internal tuner. Also they go for almost $500 new. Some of them are hardly more than a glorified softrock;
http://fivedash.com/

My desire for one was quenched when a Pro2 was found at qth in almost new condition and for only a few more dollas than the qrp rigs looked at. Also I could be at the owners place in 45 minutes! So, with the Pro2 you have outstanding dynamic range and sensitivity, a fft display that can go to 200kHz width, dual watch so you can listen to two freqs at the same time in the same mode, a clean 100w out, a fairly widebanded internal antenna tuner, dsp modulation and demodulation in all modes with the same dsp chips as in the glorious JRC NRD 545, I don't remember how many memories, various inputs and outputs to attach a pc or whatever, a tcxo, and Icom reliability, also I love me some iCom.

Also, I've seen IC706mkiig going for less than $500 lately at qth. This allows for 100 Watts HF+6M, 50 Watts 2M, 20 Watts 440, all in a tiny package. This would be a much more versatile rig for mobile use - wich is what I wanted the qrp rig for to begin with, hopefully a mkiig will fall into my lap like the Pro2 did.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 1930 UTC »
I saw a ICF-2001 at a hamfest last weekend for $100.  Sadly, no takers.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Matt285

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 1949 UTC »
Another receiver that has a great resale value is the Sony SW100. I would love to have one, but it's way out of my price range if you can even find one for sale. Transceivers have come down a lot. I still see a lot of HF rigs on Ebay from the 80's that people are trying to sell for 500 plus. Now you can get a new rig IG Icom-718 or Yaesu ft-450 for just a little more. Im glad to see that its becoming more affordable for people to get into. There has been talk about trying to allow Technician class ops to operate on HF. Being someone who passed there General with CW I thought at first people should have to go through what I and many others did, but now I think it might be a good thing to keep HF alive. In my opinion I think Techs should just have to take a limited test to learn their boundaries within the spectrum along with wattage output and basic procedures.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 0353 UTC »
I've actually got an early 1990's Sony ICF-SW100S. Super travel radio for sure! Unfortunately, the ribbon cables broke on mine, twice! I bought and self replaced cables in 1998, and sand papered the clamshell edges by rounding them. Unfortunately, the new cables didn't last, and by 2005, they severed, again. Now, I'm trying to figure if I wanna' another go of it, just to have the cables fail, yet again? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Too bad... Certainly not the best HF portables I've got, or had, but it had its uses. I even DX'ed, and DF'ed FM pirate stations with it.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 0510 UTC »
I saw a ICF-2001 at a hamfest last weekend for $100.  Sadly, no takers.

+-RH

You guys will love this.

Years ago at a HAM auction in Omaha, Counciltucky, or Bellevue, there was a 2001 with box, looked new! I bid against a guy or two till there was me and my foe, he finally let me have it at $100. I got my prize home and opened it up, popped in some new batts, and nada. Not a single thing. Opened it up and the entire board was corroded like it had been in water, yet the exterior looked new. Always power up and operate every prospective purchase before you lay down the cash!

The only good things that could be harvested were the ceramic filters of wich there are several and came in very handy years down the road, and the shiny tuning knob. I wonder if I was biding against the guy who owned it.