We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirating in the Netherlands  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Wooden_shoe_pirate

• On top of a windmill..
    • View Profile
Pirating in the Netherlands
« on: June 19, 2019, 0939 UTC »
Hi guys.

I've noticed that FM pirating in the Netherlands ( and UK ) is totally different than anywhere else in the world.
Therefore i thought it might be interresting to give you guys a inside view of how things work over here.

So here we go:

We have 3 sorts of pirates:

- Persons that transmit from their homes. Typically with 1 ~2 dipoles, 10 - 30 meters high antennamast, 10W - 2Kw transmitter
- Groups of people that all put money in the piggybank. They buy an old towercrane 60 - 120 meters high, 4 ~8 Dipoles , 5 - 10 -15 -20Kw transmitter and an PC with 3G dongle and prepaid card as STL
- Person / group of people that put their transmitter on a high Building, Cell site or High Voltage pylon. Typically with 1 ~2 dipoles, 150W - 2Kw transmitter and a PC with 3G dongle

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Pirating in the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 1150 UTC »
The one with the pirate FM antenna on top of a high-tension power transmission pylon is my favorite.  How are the owners of the cellular towers not noticing folks installing additional equipment and antennas on their sites? 

Using 3G connections for a STL?  Interesting. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

• On top of a windmill..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 1308 UTC »
They usually pick cell sites outside of the city, therefore the risk of beeing caught on-site is minimal.

Regarding the STL:

Don't know how things work outside europe, but in NL you can buy an prepaid card with cash, without providing any personal information.
For another 10 euros you get 1 or 2 GB traffic. Get cheap core 2 duo PC, plugin the dongle, run breakaway or stereotool, use an icecast or shoutcast server outside of your country ( 32-64K AAC+)
Voillá you're virtually untracable

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 1337 UTC »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

• On top of a windmill..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 1404 UTC »
Some years ago, when the "professionals" were using 10Ghz links ( cheap Gunnplexers - AM modulated and a so-called SATCAN tuner module, still in use by many UK pirates  ) a national television station was invited by "Danceradio992" - pioneers in unmanned transmitter sites -

You can find this nice interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frH6-VXY9KY ( Don't forget to enable the subtitles, unless you're speaking Dutch ofcourse :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 1413 UTC by Wooden_shoe_pirate »

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 2024 UTC »
I think many of the FM pirates here use 3/4g to link. You can even use it to turn the TX on and off remotely (I think).
I have one of those 10 GHz links here. Never used it though since I got it over 10 years ago.

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 2048 UTC »
Thanks for sharing!

You can find this nice interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frH6-VXY9KY ( Don't forget to enable the subtitles, unless you're speaking Dutch ofcourse :)

Dance Radio was heard in Ukraine once during Es propagation. I have a good audio recording with clear ID.
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

• On top of a windmill..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 2048 UTC »
Correct Brian,

On the receiving side, an ( forgot the type ) IC is used with 19kHz detector. When MPX is sent over the link- carrying the 19kHz pilot tone - the detector can switch a relay

• On top of a windmill..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 2050 UTC »

Dance Radio was heard in Ukraine once during Es propagation. I have a good audio recording with clear ID.

Nice catch!

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 1423 UTC »
Leuk item om te lezen!

Weer eens wat anders!

Groet

André
CoolAM Radio - Shortwave
the Netherlands
Make your dream a reality...