We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dietary carb restriction improves metabolic syndrome independent of weight loss  (Read 2134 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Dietary carbohydrate restriction improves metabolic syndrome independent of weight loss

Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is highly correlated with obesity and cardiovascular risk, but the importance of dietary carbohydrate independent of weight loss in MetS treatment remains controversial. Here, we test the theory that dietary carbohydrate intolerance (i.e., the inability to process carbohydrate in a healthy manner) rather than obesity per se is a fundamental feature of MetS.

Despite maintaining body mass, low-carbohydrate (LC) intake enhanced fat oxidation and was more effective in reversing MetS, especially high triglycerides, low HDL-C, and the small LDL subclass phenotype. Carbohydrate restriction also improved abnormal fatty acid composition, an emerging MetS feature. Despite containing 2.5 times more saturated fat than the high-carbohydrate diet, an LC diet decreased plasma total saturated fat and palmitoleate and increased arachidonate.

https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/128308
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
I recall reading about explorers first reaching eskimo, who until then lived off more or less raw blubber. One interesting point is they had nothing to use for fuel so never cooked anything, and two their diet was largely fat, yet they had no tooth decay or obesity related issues such as heart dieseases or athero/arteriosclerosis. Their faces were weather worn from years of exposure but their bodies were incredibly healthy.

That changed when the explorers brought their bread and sweets and canned goods that had all the enzymes killed off and "raised the savage from the depths of ignorance to enlightenment", so now the tribes have the same diseases as is common to western man.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I recall reading about explorers first reaching eskimo, who until then lived off more or less raw blubber. One interesting point is they had nothing to use for fuel so never cooked anything, and two their diet was largely fat, yet they had no tooth decay or obesity related issues such as heart dieseases or athero/arteriosclerosis. Their faces were weather worn from years of exposure but their bodies were incredibly healthy.

That changed when the explorers brought their bread and sweets and canned goods that had all the enzymes killed off and "raised the savage from the depths of ignorance to enlightenment", so now the tribes have the same diseases as is common to western man.

Yes, this exactly. When they returned to "civilization" they were examined by doctors and found to be in excellent health. And as you mentioned, western diets are incredibly harmful to Native Americans, both those up in the Arctic as well as down here.

This image just came across my feed earlier today with the caption: The image below is of a Maasai tribe. I'm quite certain that they tract their MACROS with a virtual app constantly. Or maybe they just eat meat, milk & blood.....It's a toss up. Either way, they are some of the healthiest people on the planet.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
The western diet is harmful to everyone, going by heart disease and cancer rates.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile

Yes, this exactly. When they returned to "civilization" they were examined by doctors and found to be in excellent health. And as you mentioned, western diets are incredibly harmful to Native Americans, both those up in the Arctic as well as down here.

This image just came across my feed earlier today with the caption: The image below is of a Maasai tribe. I'm quite certain that they tract their MACROS with a virtual app constantly. Or maybe they just eat meat, milk & blood.....It's a toss up. Either way, they are some of the healthiest people on the planet.

Until the lions, leopards, and hyenas eat them at the ripe old age of twenty five.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns