We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: someone willing to buy the ultimate Ham station... with a catch... a daymare  (Read 1793 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
What if a person, any non-ham person offered to buy you the ultimate ham station ?  Sound good...  well maybe not if you consider "the catch".

The deal goes like this,  This non-ham person buys you everything you ever imagined as far as ham equipment goes...

The 'catch"?   Simple he will use it for 24/7 every week and the only thing he needs from you if the fact you are now the control operator with the required FCC licence.  All the gear is in your name but you never get to use it because the non-ham person is on it 24/7.

Your greed has set you up for a fall maybe... just maybe...  You forgot, because you are the licensed control operator and owner of this 'rig' you will take hell for anything that 'might' go wrong...  Maybe your non-ham person is into something that might be  'harmful' to persons or even your Country...  Not saying this is the case but it just might be...

Would you take this 'gift'...  ????

just sayin'

This in no way is about anyone or any situation old/new  it is just a play on the imagination.  AKA  not freaking real so don't say this about this or that because... it isn't.. it's just a mental play and you folks all know just how mental I can get  :P  Welcome to 'The Twilight Zone"

vw
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Matt285

Just having my wife hanging out in my radio room is too much for me. That's gonna be a NO for me.

Matt285

This reminds me a bit of a story i heard years ago. A man is offered a demon that will give him anything he desires. The catch is that the man has to keep the demon busy all the time or else the demon will devour him. He tells the demon, build me the finest mansion anyone has ever seen. The demon comes back a few mins later and tells the man I'm done whats next? The man then orders him to create a feast that will feed a thousand people. A few mins later the demon comes back and says there it is a feast for 1000 people give me more orders or I will devour you. The man is scared for his life and begins running. After some time he runs into a holy man and explains his story. The holy man plucks a curly hair from his head and says give this to the demon and tell him to keep it straight. Now after he grants your request you give him back the curly hair. This will occupy all of his time. It was some type of parallel to the mind always needing constant thought etc. It was a long time ago

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Where I grew up there was a supernatural phenomena called a "haint". Unlike the "haints" of the lowland South, which were said to be ghosts, upland haints were generally creatures of place, fields, old farms, barns, etc... If you crossed their ground after dark, it could be Hell to pay, they behave like drunken poltergeists.

Woe upon you if you built a house or farm on haint claimed ground, there wasn't much to do but move away, the haint wasn't going to let up until you left. However, there was a means to control their destructive tendencies inside the house, paper the walls with old newspapers and catalog pages. Haints are compulsively curious about everything in their stomping grounds, they aren't going to stop until they've read every word, start to finish in one go. The trick was to put enough up that the haint would never finish reading it all by daylight. If a haint is still out at daylight, it's done.

You can jar them, too, but that involves luring them in, not easy to do with a creature that can vanish at will. Let's face it, some fool could let a jarred one loose and you're back at step one. Better to frustrate them with newsprint and have them fry when the sun comes up.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Sounds like a job offer I had to visit sunny South America and maintain remote sdrs and antenna farm for a certain agency. The pay was really good but the site was in the middle of a cocaine war/communist rebellion and you only had yourself and a few locals for security atop some mountain. Low noise floor, radios and antennas you could only dream of, your own air conditioned shipping container/home, hours and hours of off time to dx, random rampas and mortars as well as sniping and/or assaults.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Sounds like you needed a good haint to keep you company?