We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Helliniki Radiophonia  (Read 755 times)

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Helliniki Radiophonia
« on: July 13, 2019, 0408 UTC »
9420 KHZ @ 0402 UTC 13 July 19 in Greek.   STRANGE but very entertaining mix of music.  Big band type song with female vocals followed by a type of Latino Rap genre with male vocals.  Then back to the more traditional Grecian music genre.    Just bizarre.   Strong, steady signal.

SINPO: 3+ 4 4 4 4
TX:  Avlis, Greece
TARGET:  N. America
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: Helliniki Radiophonia
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 0151 UTC »
I heard them last night on 9420 kHz, out in the glorious RF-pollution-free boonies, and enjoyed some of the most fantastically beautiful music I've ever heard. Signal was incredible, 555, I thought it must be a relay from the usual US suspects... Anyhow the music was varied, from haunting vocals to hammer dulcimer to strange stringed instruments. I couldn't place it, I kept thinking "Balkans"... which it is, sort of. 

Introductions via shortwave to music you never imagined possible is an underrated joy of the hobby.
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Re: Helliniki Radiophonia
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 0229 UTC »
The signal out of Alvis is one of the now all-to-infrequent surprises to today's  SWL DX'er.  I have, on numerous occasions, picked up Radio Helliniki on the 79 year old Mantola tube with nothing more than 3 feet of speaker wire as an antenna cuz I never got around to long-wiring the old tuber.
Go figure.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago