We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dead Cat Radio 6925 USB twofer  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dead Cat Radio 6925 USB twofer
« on: October 10, 2008, 1139 UTC »
...mebbe even a threefer.
Dead Cat Radio, 6925 USB
0024z: SSTV

0030-0059z: Dave Mason set, "Only You Know and I Know", "Look at You, Look at Me", "All Along the Watchtower", others.
0038z: OM saying "...hello..." possible shout-out, obscured by noise and fade.
0100z: Duke Nukem, "I've got balls of steel!", meow, Dead Cat Radio ID
A bit o' Mason, "Watchtower", DCR ID at end:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wmjwnugjjwf
SINPO - 23322, weak signal, lotta fading.

0230-0315 UTC: Presumed Dead Cat Radio based on signature audio bits (cat meow, Elmer Fudd, etc.), tho' final ID obscured by fade.  Various pop music, surf rock, REM "It's the End of the World as We Know It", Wall of Voodoo "Mexican Radio", Prince "Little Red Corvette" (can't hear that song without thinking of Sandra Bernhard's "Without You I'm Nothing"), Fine Young Cannibals (odd, I'd been thinking about "long pork" today), Ramones "We Want the Airwaves", Hooters "And We Danced", others including possible Belinda Carlisle sighting.
0236z: Cat "meow" during REM song
0314z: Elmer Fudd "Kill da wabbit!", then faded during ID.
SINPO - 35312, good signal at times, frequent fades to inaudible. Weird wave-like ebb-and-flo propagation.
Approx. 45 audio clip: http://www.mediafire.com/?22om5nymmnu

This last one is a guess, never got a clear ID, tho' it might have been buried under the frequent OTHR bursts, but had that distinctive DCR vibe about it...
0525-0615 UTC: Eagles "Hollywood Waltz", Beatles "Help", Joe Jackson "On Your Radio", Bangles "Walk Like An Egyptian", surf rock instrumental, Beatles "Sgt. Pepper", Big Country "In a Big Country", Bruce Hornsby "The Way It Is", Tears For Fears "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" (possible ID after song, under noise), piano pop instrumental.
SINPO - 32312, good signal peaks, erratic propagation with fades to inaudible, then S7 peaks, lotta OTHR and noise.  (A Florida listener reported similarly erratic propagation shifts and signal strength.)

(N. Central TX - Palstar R30C, fugly indoor passive coax loop.)
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)