We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Laser Hot Hits 6205 AM 1640 utc 19 Aug 2019  (Read 975 times)

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Laser Hot Hits 6205 AM 1640 utc 19 Aug 2019
« on: August 19, 2019, 1646 UTC »
on 6205.0
1640 Abba "Waterloo", 1642 DJ, ID, 1644 rock, weak, noisy
2008 Johnny Cash
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 2010 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline canswl

• Masset, BC
  • Thanks for the broadcast!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laser Hot Hits 6205 AM 1640 utc 19 Aug 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 2255 UTC »
Supposedly in Ireland, but not a trace in Cork, Dublin or Belfast during the past 3 days while cruising.
Listening to the amazing world of radio since 1967
Victoria, BC CANADA and my remote site near Masset, BC
Perseus SDR with ALA 100LN and Flag antennae.  Beverages, ALA 100 and ALA1530 and DKAZ in Masset
eQSLs always appreciated to CANSWL@GMail.com

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 2326 UTC »
Supposedly in Ireland, but not a trace in Cork, Dublin or Belfast during the past 3 days while cruising.
LHH was on 6205 day long on Sunday, and only on the evening on Monday (both times till unknown time in the night). Not heard at all on Tuesday.

Going nearer to a SW transmitting site, you are likely to be in the skip zone, a zone where there is no or almost no signal (depending on the ionospheric conditions, season, time of the day, wavelength, and also of the type of the transmitting antenna). Then, very close to the station, there is some signal, depending of the antenna and bad or good local ground (and maybe direct sight, if the antenna is high).
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 0357 UTC »
I recall back in the day listening to Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres in Scotland. There was a strange phenomenon when their sky wave interfered with their ground wave at dusk or near dusk in wintertime.

Also, while operating my hobby pirate station all those years ago from a TX site that was near the top of a hill, down in the valley nearby, almost in line of sight from my half-wave 40 metre dipole, my sky wave began to interfere with my ground wave at dusk. It sounded similar to the so-called LUXY EFFECT;  there were nulls, and the peaks were attenuated - destructive and constructive interference ocurring simultaneously as the ground wave never faded at all so close to my HF aerial. The resultant deep fading caused by my sky wave was noticeable because it hampered reception.

Throwing 2 stones close to each other into a pond can demonstrate this kind of effect in terms of the resultant ripple and its amplitude. The peak of the constructive interference part of the wave cycle will be the sum total of the amplitudes of the waves produced by the two stones in their own rights. However, the destructive part of the cycle wiill produce a deep trough. So, attenuation will occur.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 0413 UTC by Jock Wilson »

Offline canswl

• Masset, BC
  • Thanks for the broadcast!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 0938 UTC »
We were in Cork on Sunday, Dublin on Monday and Belfast on Tuesday. I would check in the early morning, then in the latter afternoon when back aboard, and intermittently in the evening, dusk and after nightfall. On 6205 I expected to at least hear something at some point, be it groundwave or skywave if far enough away for the latter. Nada.
Listening to the amazing world of radio since 1967
Victoria, BC CANADA and my remote site near Masset, BC
Perseus SDR with ALA 100LN and Flag antennae.  Beverages, ALA 100 and ALA1530 and DKAZ in Masset
eQSLs always appreciated to CANSWL@GMail.com

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 0948 UTC »
We were in Cork on Sunday, Dublin on Monday and Belfast on Tuesday. I would check in the early morning, then in the latter afternoon when back aboard, and intermittently in the evening, dusk and after nightfall. On 6205 I expected to at least hear something at some point, be it groundwave or skywave if far enough away for the latter. Nada.
You were too far away for groundwave in each of those locations.
You would have been within groundwave of another station though on your trip up to Dublin.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 0953 UTC by Brian »

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns