We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WABC 770am brings back "WABC Rewound" (60's/70's) on Labor Day  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
WABC 770 was THE iconic 50K watt music radio station in New York during the 60's and 70's.  Oft times, the DJ's would ad lib the station ID to W-A-Beatle-C.  Now, they are a conservative talk format but new ownership is digging into the archives.  For period of time in the 2000's on Memorial Day, WABC would play segments of programs from the 60's and 70's throughout the holiday "WABC Rewound", the practiced stopped about a decade ago.  It is beginning again on Labor Day (02 Sep 2019) at 0900 utc throughout the day for the holiday.  Let's hope this programming expands beyond Labor Day.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/179866/wabc-rewound-to-return-on-labor-day/

Those in Connecticut that wish to be treated to original 60's and 70's programming have the Red Wolf network of WDRC FM (102.9),WDRC AM (1360), WSNG (610), and WMMW (1470).  While there is a live DJ playing music from the era  1000-1400 utc on weekends, it is interspersed with interviews and radio segments done by the station decades ago.  Last week featured interviews with the Beatles that were done in '64 while the boys were in Hartford.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 2248 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns