We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Amplified Antenna and Old Console Radio  (Read 4191 times)

bandarr3000

Amplified Antenna and Old Console Radio
« on: August 27, 2019, 1222 UTC »
I have a recently restored RCA 88-K from the 1930s, and I'd like to hook it up to my W6LVP antenna.   Am I likely to overload the old girl, or worse?  Thanks.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Amplified Antenna and Old Console Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 1944 UTC »
I imagine most of the olde tyme radios will do just fine with something like your loop. They were from the era of 100ft or longer outdoor wires being commonplace, to a large pile of wire laid out under the rug in the living room.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

bandarr3000

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 2250 UTC »
I imagine most of the olde tyme radios will do just fine with something like your loop. They were from the era of 100ft or longer outdoor wires being commonplace, to a large pile of wire laid out under the rug in the living room.

Great.  Thank you!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 1142 UTC »
They weren't called "carpet burners" without a reason.

One of my favorite Laurel and Hardy movies, "Sons Of The Desert" begins with Stan and Ollie trying to hang a longwire on the roof of their duplex. Ollie is so concerned about falling off the roof he doesn't notice a soft spot in the roof. He comes crashing down through the ceiling and on to dining room table, which his wife is in the process of setting. It really takes off after that. Those scamps!