We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Hot Radio Relay 6885 USB 2342 2 September 2019  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Radio Relay 6885 USB 2342 2 September 2019
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 2045 UTC »
Wasn't "Like A Hurricane" on "American Stars And Bars"? You couldn't go anywhere w/o hearing the album version of that tune in late '77/early '78 and it was long.

I knew a guy who was playing on the bar circuit in South Florida in a cover band who shot his car's radio out after having to hear and play it so many times. (The Hurricanes are the name of the U of Miami's sports teams, which were lousy in that era.) He may have been batsh!t crazy, but he was provoked. It was found to be justifiable radiocide.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 1607 UTC »
Wasn't "Like A Hurricane" on "American Stars And Bars"? You couldn't go anywhere w/o hearing the album version of that tune in late '77/early '78 and it was long.

Yes Like a Hurricane is from American Stars & Bars.
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 1912 UTC »
Thanks! I was thinking it was from either "Stars And Bars" or "Zuma" but they have such a similar sound despite Frank Sampedro becoming a member of Crazy Horse between the two and the decades since, it's hard to recall which album what tunes were on.

Neil and the boys were really hitting their stride in that era. Crazy Horse was a very good, but underrated band on it's own. That's what happens when you hitch your wagon to an established star.

The radio shooting guitar player had two six ft. tall blonde sisters who looked like prototypes for the "Swedish Bikini Team" a decade later. He looked like he'd been hit by a bus face first. They were all on the far side of nuts.

I was working the door at a friends bar when the youngest sister walked in. Some fool biker got the urge to grab her by her fine butt. She hit him with an overhand right that knocked him cold and broke his nose. He caught crap about that one for years.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 0100 UTC »
Thanks! I was thinking it was from either "Stars And Bars" or "Zuma" but they have such a similar sound despite Frank Sampedro becoming a member of Crazy Horse between the two and the decades since, it's hard to recall which album what tunes were on.

Neil and the boys were really hitting their stride in that era. Crazy Horse was a very good, but underrated band on it's own. That's what happens when you hitch your wagon to an established star.

The radio shooting guitar player had two six ft. tall blonde sisters who looked like prototypes for the "Swedish Bikini Team" a decade later. He looked like he'd been hit by a bus face first. They were all on the far side of nuts.

I was working the door at a friends bar when the youngest sister walked in. Some fool biker got the urge to grab her by her fine butt. She hit him with an overhand right that knocked him cold and broke his nose. He caught crap about that one for years.

Hah!  Very nice!
Yes crazy horse was a great band and perfect for Neil (though he abused them so terribly it's amazing they stuck with him all those/these years!).
Zuma was released Nov of 75 - just off the Tonites the Night tour ("fueled by tequila and cheese burgers").  Drive Back.  Stupid Girl.  Cortez the Killer.
American Stars & Bars was June 77 - the beginning of country Neil (if you will....).  Old Country Waltz.  Saddle Up the Palomino.  Fiddles and female backing vocals.... Then Comes a Time LP.
Ah the good old days....
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline cheesehed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 0130 UTC »
0120-22  Could barely make out a male voice. Bad noise floor.
Neil Bartlett
Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin (20 mi. west of Madison)
Sony Exec Satellite, barefoot; Eton Field Elite; PL-660

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 2018 UTC »

Hah!  Very nice!
Yes crazy horse was a great band and perfect for Neil (though he abused them so terribly it's amazing they stuck with him all those/these years!).
Zuma was released Nov of 75 - just off the Tonites the Night tour ("fueled by tequila and cheese burgers").  Drive Back.  Stupid Girl.  Cortez the Killer.
American Stars & Bars was June 77 - the beginning of country Neil (if you will....).  Old Country Waltz.  Saddle Up the Palomino.  Fiddles and female backing vocals.... Then Comes a Time LP.
Ah the good old days....

Do you remember the "Live Rust Tour" when he made all the roadies dress like gnomes for set changes? Way too many psychedelics and cocaine floating around in '79. I'm surprised they didn't wait until he crashed to hurl him off a bridge.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 1700 UTC »
Yes - I saw Neil & the boys on that tour - those gnomes were creepy - kind of like those things in Omega Man.  The psychedelics as you mention made them even creepier!
Good times.