We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WWVH only on 15000 kHz?  (Read 883 times)

Offline markolinux

• Goshen, IN, USA
    • View Profile
WWVH only on 15000 kHz?
« on: October 01, 2019, 2224 UTC »
I'm hearing the audio programming for WWVH, with the woman announcer, on 15000 kHz. Either they are substituting the normal programming of WWV with that of WWVH, or WWVH is coming in here instead of WWV (which I doubt, because it's just not the right time of day for that).

10000 and 5000 have the normal WWV announcer.

Mark Pettifor
Goshen, IN en71
--Airspy HF+ Discovery
--30' vertical wire

SDRs:  Perseus -- HF+ Discovery -- RSPdx
Antennas:  DKAZ -- Superloop (Conti) -- Belar loop
                  -- Vertical wire -- BOG/LOG (sometimes)
SW - MW; Listening and DXing.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: WWVH only on 15000 kHz?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 2120 UTC »
If that were the case (that they got the audio swapped), LOTS of people would be reporting that. But those stations aren't connected in any way. WWV has their signal generators right on site, and I would bet that WWVH has theirs at their place as well. For whatever reason, you copied WWVH.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 1728 UTC »
This evening on the Grey Line I heard both WWV & WWVH clearly on 5 and 10 plus 15MHz as per normal. Nothing untowards this way. ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 0043 UTC »
Propagation can do strange things. When I was a kid I'd hardly ever hear WWVH. Over the last year or so I've heard WWVH dominate on 10 Mhz and sometimes 5 Mhz at night more than once -- at least one time I did not hear WWV at all.

And I'm in the PNW.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 1830 UTC »
If the band goes long, closer in stas go out and dx stas come in, simple as that. When that happens, it's a good time to hit the dials and see what else out of the ordinary is coming in.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 0341 UTC »
If the band goes long, closer in stas go out and dx stas come in, simple as that. When that happens, it's a good time to hit the dials and see what else out of the ordinary is coming in.

This.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 1805 UTC »

This.

To get technical, the idunnosphere gets "raised" to a height that allows for a lower angle of radiation to propagate and at the same time seemingly curtails close in signals since they're not being supported by nvis for the duration. You can see this clearly on 40m in the day to nite transition where the band goes long, dx starts coming in and stations from close by to several hundred miles become weaker and weaker. Of course the reverse takes place in the morning when the gray line creeps across your location and the dx stations fade out and locals start booming in via nvis. 40m being a predictable example of the band going long or short.

Sometimes the angle is so low there may be no hops between stations on opposite sides of the earth ie the sigs skim the inside shell of the idunnosphere layer around the world, never hitting the ground till they reach the endpoints. Crazy propagation modes like whispering gallery, chordal hop, and long delayed echos. On 40m we had lde's going on once or twice, that was neat!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 1808 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.