We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Local trucking company Ch 5 27015 AM 1202 UTC 9 Aug 2019  (Read 18080 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Local trucking company Ch 5 27015 AM 1202 UTC 9 Aug 2019
« on: August 09, 2019, 1207 UTC »
1202 I stumbled on what seems to be a local company, talking about hauling crushed stone.
1206 Now talking about going to the dump.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Local trucking company Ch 5 27015 AM 1202 UTC 9 Aug 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 1322 UTC »
There's a quarry about 30 miles to the west of me (right off Interstate 64) that uses CB channel 23 / 27255 AM to talk to the various dump trucks coming in and out of the quarry.  The dispatcher or guard shack either has a really nice antenna and/or some power because they're nice and loud for several miles in each direction before you're right next to the quarry.  Various trucks could be heard talking to the dispatcher about loads and places in line with other trucks. 

You might have stumbled upon something similar. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 1501 UTC »
Nothing there now, so I wonder if it was a contractor doing road work?

Channel 32 active with the usual locals in Hanover.

I would love to be able to get a second KiwiSDR and put it online with the T2FD, which is an amazing antenna on 11 meters.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 1550 UTC »
Probably a contractor.  There's a large construction project in the same part of town where I work (its nearly finished).  A year or so ago when there were large numbers of dump trucks and other vehicles milling about, I glanced into the cab of one of the dump trucks and saw it was on CB channel 34.  CB is the common denominator on these work sites where you have different companies coming and going to a work site or quarry.  It's a lot easier than outfitting everyone with a radio for a specific business band frequency.  Plus, most trucks already have a CB!

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 1844 UTC »
'Round my neck of the woods, it's coal trucks on CB CH8 for years. I've even passed them a few times when they were close enough to bleed on all 40 channels to me and found them that way on various roadways. I see that Maxim Crane Works trucks and crane rigs are outfitted with CB's as well, albeit I don't know what channel they use, yet.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Online kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 2237 UTC »
   In Poland, CB radio is very common. Mobile telephony and PMR are not competitive.
It is standard to equip trucks and road machines with CB radio. Many passenger cars also use them. Everyone is listening on the road channel 19 - AM modulation, raster channels in zeros. After a period of lush dissemination, now there are rarely fool around and vulgar statements.
 This radio is a good hazard warning and road assistance.
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 1729 UTC »
All this month, there's been a parade of dump trucks, cement trucks, and excavators, passing our house here to rebuild a bridge 3 miles from here. They all seem to be QSO'ing on CB channel 30, (27.305MHz AM.). Seeing that they pass by the house, it wasn't hard to find them.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.