We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dipole vs Vertical: Which Antenna is Better?  (Read 968 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Dipole vs Vertical: Which Antenna is Better?
« on: November 16, 2023, 2009 UTC »
I guess that this can go here.   https://www.onallbands.com/dipole-vs-vertical%EF%BB%BF-which-antenna-is-better/   Tim, K8RRT shared that. Me??? I've done the best of both worlds, Vertical Dipoles.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Dipole vs Vertical: Which Antenna is Better?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 1517 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 1517 UTC »
That image of antenna tower in fire looks like the result of an anti-waves militant attack.
Several attacks of this type in France, against cell phone towers and radio-TV towers in the last few years.
Some of those dumb militants even accused the all-new 5G network to be the cause of the pandemy!
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 1845 UTC »
Unless looking for NVIS at lower frequencies, a horizontal at approximately 1/2' wavelength above moderate to decent ground can return up to ~8.5dBi of gain. The problem for lots of us is getting a lower HF horizontal dipole for 160/80/40 that high, even if perhaps having the space lengthwise.

That said....

Want a ground-mount HF vertical without the huge radial field? Make the vertical a halfwave fed at the base with with a 49:1 or 64:1 unun. Now all ya' need is a few very short on-ground radials (and/or common-mode on the feedline) to satisfy Kirchhoff's first law.

If antenna height is an issue, as a halfwave on even 40m is ~66', look into deploying the halfwave as described above instead as an inverted-L. It might need a little tweaking to the length and/or unun ratio, but either seems easier than deploying dozens of ground radials IMO.

Alternatively, raise the vertical and use a couple or more elevated tuned radials. I keep meaning to add those to my elevated 31' vertical for improved ~7MHz tuning, but it is a receiving antenna, so it is just grounded to the existing mast and guys for now. If I raised it higher, I could actually even use tuned guys as elevated radials.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip