We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Day time DX tips please  (Read 1341 times)

Matt285

Day time DX tips please
« on: October 15, 2019, 1918 UTC »
So I have injured my foot and have to stay home for a week. Bitter sweet. In any case I will have more time for monitoring during the day which I don't normally get. Any good day time broadcast catches to look out for? Say on 31,25,22,19,16 meters? Im on the East coast (Florida) Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Day time DX tips please
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 1948 UTC »
Daytime means above 9mc listening for dx. Also keep in mind greyline dx that exists an hour before local sunrise to an hour after local sunset. For example, right now the greyline is over east asia at one end and the middle of the atlantic at the near end. That doesn't mean you can't look for east asian dx right now as the ionospheric entry point for those sigs might allow them to reach the US in a reduced strength. A beam or long wire/bev pointed in the right direction would likely help but who save for Chris Smolinksi can afford those?

https://www.qsl.net/w2vtm/grayline.html
https://www.smeter.net/propagation/views/current-gray-line.php

dl you a greyline dx map!
https://www.w3wvg.com/_mgxroot/page_10735.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 2048 UTC »
Thanks Josh. I was just PM'ing Chris about another topic and commented on how you guys are always there to answer questions.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 2147 UTC »

If you are looking for particular stations, the BBC at 1600utc on 15400 is an easy catch.  If you are fluent in Spanish REE on 9690 or 12030 can be heard.    The Voice of Greece is on 9420 and the Voice of America can be heard on 15580, once again at 1600 utc or so.  All these stations run to at least 1900utc.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 2220 UTC »
Thanks Ct Yankee. I know basic Spanish and will keep an ear out. Yes any specific frequencies/Programs are very much welcome!

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 2234 UTC »
And Radio Habana Cuba in Spanish is usually on 15140 AM from 15:30 UTC to 18:00 UTC and 11760 AM same time.
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Matt285

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 2358 UTC »
Yup. radio Havana is a fairly easy catch, although being in such close proximity it depends. Sometimes I get their numbers station good, but other times it skips over me. Thanks for the reminder Shadypro. I will definitely try to catch the numbers broadcast tomorrow if its on schedule. haven't heard numbers in a while. It never gets old! 

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 2243 UTC »
 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL broadcasts on 11880 khz  @ 1400-1500 UTC in English. The target is Western North America but I usually get a solid signal here in Southeastern Wisconsin.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 1002 UTC »
As others have noted, higher frequencies are best in the daytime. As you're in Florida, you may also want to give the 11 meter freeband a try, especially if you know some Spanish. Check above and below the CB band, as well as inside it.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline thecolonel

• Lower Ohio Valley
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 0419 UTC »
Seems that there has been decent amount of activity on 25 meter band during the day while anything 15 Mhz and up has been kind of lousy. Although I do hear the BBC service mostly beaming to Africa around 1700 UTC many times and thereabouts. The VOA is also on the upper part of the 19 meter band at 15580 as well as Radio Habana Cuba on 15140 Khz. The best thing I can say is to see how WWV is coming into your area to see if the conditions are decent enough to permit some sort of decent reception. Seems I've also been occasionally hearing some activity at 15435 which I presume is something from Saudi Arabia.

Also, its finally getting more fall like here in the Ohio Valley instead the near 90 degree temperatures we had only a couple of weeks ago. AM Broadcast band at night has been excellent and even during the day its been much improved over the summer months with a lot of stations 100 to 250 miles away starting to come in pretty well.

I would also mention that there has been a lot of activity in the mid afternoon to evening time frame in the 31 meter and 25 meter band. See if you can catch REE Radio Exterior Espana on 9690 which has a pretty good signal here during the late afternoon evening frame. Also around I think I heard the Voice of Turkey on 9830 khz recently in that same window of the late afternoon evening. 11820 khz on the 25 meter band is the Broadcasting System of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia which is referred to as Saudi Radio these days as well as some station probably broadcasting to Yemen and the Middle East more than likely from Saudi Arabia.

The best thing is to try to get some wire up in the air and another thing away from other electronics such as LED/LCD televisions, monitors and even my supposedly trusty laptop has a power supply issue that causes massive buzzing so its time for a different charger or some other measures.

Radios:

Yaesu FT-1000MP, Icom IC-7300, Icom IC-718, Kenwood TS-480SAT, Yaesu FT-450D, Yaesu FT-840, Yaesu FRG-100B, Kenwood R-5000, Kenwood R-2000, Yaesu FRG-7700, Yaesu FRG-7, Radio Shack DX-398, Grundig YB 400 PE, Eton Field BT, Grundig S350, Realistic DX 390, XHDATA D-808, Eton Executive Elite.

Antennas: 5-21 Magnetic Loop 3/4 inch copper
Antennas: 150 foot longwire
Antennas: 260 foot long delta loop for 3.865 Mhz
Former Antennas: 2500 foot longwire at 45 feet over approximately 5 acres

Confirmed 150 SW Countries
DXCC Amateur Radio