We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Bounty on burros in Death Valley?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Bounty on burros in Death Valley?
« on: October 17, 2019, 1120 UTC »
I heard it on the radio about a half-hour ago. Al, you need to get out there. The government is trying to get rid of your relatives and paying hunters big bucks to do it. Don't they remember how your relatives hauled tons of borax, large groups of you to a wagon to get that stuff out of that hole on the path past Ronnie Reagan's "House of Tomorrow"? Don't they have any respect for those poor donkeys and the greatest soap ever made, "20 Mule Team Borax Soap". You could use it in the tub, in the dishwasher, as a rust remover, and just about anything else you could think of.

Sure, it removed the first two or three layers of skin, but that's how you knew you were clean and good for another two or three  months between baths. Get out there and stop the burrocide before it's too late!

Fansome

Re: Bounty on burros in Death Valley?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 1825 UTC »
Back in the late 80s, the government had a program to allow people to adopt a Death Valley burro. This was not just "spnsorship", where you send in a check and get a nice certificate; the government would actually ship the beast to you, all expenses paid.

I was living in the DC area at the time, and my officemate, who had a farm in east VA, applied for a burro. Sure enough, the burro shows up, and I got weekly burro reports for months. It seemed to work out ok; she had horses and mules and such, and the burro apparently settled right in.

The officemate moved to Florida, and was thus lost to civilization for all eternity, so I don't know what ultimately happened to the burro. From what I've heard of Florida, though, the poor animal probably ended up as gator bait.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 2200 UTC »

"They Shoot Horse, Don't They?"   ;)
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 0058 UTC »
I doubt it, Al. Burros and mules are used by farmers here to protect sheep and beehives from bears. A gator wouldn't stand a chance against one.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns