We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Westminster (KDMW ) VORTAC 117.9 MHz  (Read 1872 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Westminster (KDMW ) VORTAC 117.9 MHz
« on: October 17, 2019, 1916 UTC »
Tuning around the VHF aviation band, I found a station on 117.900 MHz AM, synth OM with non stop weather. Somewhat weak, so difficult to pick out more details than it's weather.  Some quick web searches failed to turn up anything.

Any ideas?  Josh? You're the VHF/UHF guru, any guess who/what this is?

Update:

OK, now I am not sure this is weather. He's mentioning states, several from this area like NY, CT, NJ, MD, VA, "and coastal waters", then flight level something or other. Some sort of warning/advisory?

OK solved... I think!  The Westminster VORTAC transmitter.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 1938 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Westminster (KDMW ) VORTAC 117.9 MHz
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 2245 UTC »
"The VHF airband uses the frequencies between 108 and 137 MHz. The lowest 10 MHz of the band, from 108–117.95 MHz, is split into 200 narrow-band channels of 50 kHz. These are reserved for navigational aids such as VOR beacons, and precision approach systems such as ILS localizers."
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 0330 UTC »
That is Westminster VORTAC and should be sending MCW of EMI. The weather is the HIWAS service.

See if you can get better reception with a horizontally polarized antenna.

And the FAA is considering discontinuing the HIWAS service.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/07/23/2018-15632/notice-of-proposal-to-discontinue-hazardous-inflight-weather-advisory-service-hiwas

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 0341 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 1309 UTC »
I now believe this was not weather, but just a short repeated message about general aviation rules in the area.  Apparently some VORs send this kind of message, from some brief web searches.

Westminster sends weather on 121.250, it is one of my "tough to hear beacons" that I use to gauge VHF antenna performance. The Frederick airport is even harder for me to hear.

One problem is I am using a "satellite"  900-2500 MHz LNA out at the discone, which likely has very low gain or perhaps even some loss down in the VHF band. Eventually I would like to get a better remote LNA.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline autovon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 1549 UTC »
If you go to this site
https://skyvector.com/
type in KDMW,
then in the tabs at the top click on Washington,
and them zoom in, you should see the VFR chart for Washington area.
121.25 is the automated weather for the KDMW airport and the EMI VORTAC is no co-located as you can see in the chart.
You can see in the picture, the 117.9 EMI VORTAC has a little H in the box, standing for HIWAS.  Usually that is just weather, but I imagine since it's the DC area, that is why you are hearing other messages about airspace.  That site has the capability to listen on 122.1 for aircraft and transmit voice on 117.9. 
Default RX location is Wisconsin using various wire antennas. Other RX will be noted.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 1512 UTC »
Thanks for the map link!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD