We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate radio wattage  (Read 2864 times)

Matt285

Pirate radio wattage
« on: October 27, 2019, 1402 UTC »
What is the 'typical' wattage output for Pirate's on HF? Thanks

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: Pirate radio wattage
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 1408 UTC »
10-100W I guess.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 1413 UTC »
Thanks Stretchy. I think your estimate would likely be the most accurate. I figured between 50/100 watts particularly if a majority are using modified HF Ham transceivers (This is just a guess because it seems like it would be an easy way to get started) I don't know this the be the gospel truth.

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 1520 UTC »
My apologies Chris. This or the equipment forum is more suited for the topic based on the fact that I wasn't reporting about Pirate radio reception. Noted!

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 1749 UTC »
Most (all) ham Tx's will only give a 25W carrier and rather thin (300Hz+ 2k5) audio. Mind you they be fine for 100W ssb with same thin audio. Not sure what the numbers are re A.M. Vs SSB?

I've found 20W fine for NVIS and 500 miles. High power only worthwhile at night into a vertical.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 1838 UTC »
Thanks Stretchy. I think your estimate would likely be the most accurate. I figured between 50/100 watts particularly if a majority are using modified HF Ham transceivers (This is just a guess because it seems like it would be an easy way to get started) I don't know this the be the gospel truth.

This is what I have seen in practice.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 2226 UTC »
The lower the power the better your antennae better be.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 1016 UTC »
How many watts do you need?
https://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=46

A comparison of three low power AM shortwave pirate transmitters
http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=271
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 1757 UTC »
Anyone remember the 5W - 10W  AM Grenade transmitters? When propagation was great, those did reach out. Most ricebox modern 100W transceivers MAX OUT the AM TX carrier at 25W, so only about 4dB more than a 10W Grenade.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 2131 UTC »
Remember them? I've got one eyeballing me from a book shelf in the shack, saying "Pigmeat...Pigmeat... let's go play in the woods." Every time I broadcast I got reports from a nut in Italy named Giovanni who claimed he heard me based on reports from the ACE and the FRN. I wonder what happened to him?

They were all built in runs by Boomer when he had the salvaged parts to do it. They had built in compressor/limiter circuits, you literally couldn't screw it up. There were less than thirty of them made, mostly for shortwave. I think the last bonafide Boomer built "Grenade" was in '97 before he got interested in computers.

Mines output was around 14 watts. Boomer said they ran at 80% efficiency, which would've have put it at spitting distance of the claimed 10 watts. I did the pee-pee dance around my truck when the Grenade fired up and didn't blow up.

I had a lot of fun with that little brick sized transmitter. All you needed was a gel-cel battery, an audio source, a patch cord to get the audio in the thing and an antenna and you had a radio station in a backpack. Double check that antenna, there's nothing worse than driving 50 plus miles and finding out you didn't bring it. Extra fuses are a plus,too.

If you'll excuse me I've got a transmitter to talk to.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 2220 UTC »
"Double check that antenna, there's nothing worse than driving 50 plus miles and finding out you didn't bring it. Extra fuses are a plus,too."

These fups will henceforth and forever be known as pigmeats.

Common usage;
Josh: Damit Wally, I brought my R-390A to race against yours on your MC 900ft Jesus Beverage (inspired by Smolinksi Heavy Industries 950ft on ground antennae) but I pigmeated the tubes! 50 plus miles for nothing!
Wally: You did what to who now? Where are they?
Josh: In a box at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA-AvBjBm5k
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 0159 UTC »
"Double check that antenna, there's nothing worse than driving 50 plus miles and finding out you didn't bring it. Extra fuses are a plus,too."

These fups will henceforth and forever be known as pigmeats

Watch it, Munson, I know how you pay your rent.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns