We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Play me some Jones  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Play me some Jones
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 2234 UTC »

I'm not sure.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 0024 UTC »
'82 was about the end of hollow state receivers and amps for home audiophiles. I wish I had dime for every time I heard guys in the tube days shout out at morning break, "Oh $h!t, I left my amp on this morning!" and sweating it until lunch when he could fly out of there, get home, turn it off and get back to the office.

I liked those Sherwoods, good stuff.

My cousin bought a Harman-Kardon in Vietnam, it still works. It has an SW section to it. I never got to check it out, no one is allowed to touch it but him.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 2111 UTC »

Sherwood receiver/Hitachi tape deck/ Technics turntable (all still operating) and long gone speakers all for $630 in 1982.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 1638 UTC »
I left my amp on this morning!" and sweating it until lunch when he could fly out of there, get home, turn it off and get back to the office.

That they (tube equipment) will suddenly burst into flames and burn down the house is a kind of funny mythology as far as i can tell.  If thats what they were paranoid about.
Never heard of a radio or amp actually flaming  .  A capacitor might short , but they will just pop and thats it.  Chances of anything going wrong suddenly with something that modern probably very low

I have a little piece of crap Philco chassis that stays on for days or sometimes just 12 -14 hours a day, just to see if anything happens.  One original 12BE6 failed last year that by the looks of the plastic cabinet i threw away - had 1000s of hrs before my experiment , other than that no drama.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 1644 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 1903 UTC »
If I want to double the lectric bill I just leave the R388 and R390A on all day. At least when it's cold they add some heat to the room.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 2056 UTC »
I never heard much about fires, just blown tubes if they got too hot. There wasn't much air flow in those things
The tubes and other parts were notorious for going "poof" in those things if you left them on too long, Dave, especially the 100 watters. That meant a trip to Stereo World (pick a name) where one or more of your fried parts was going to be definitely OOS or no longer made, throw in the Tech's labor cost who "knew of a way to get it to work", a little for the salesman who originally sold you the system and multiply it by three. Then they'd unlock the doors and let you out if you gave them cash up front.

Used cars salesmen were a more honest bunch than the guys who sold sound systems