We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Vegan man sues Florida Burger King over Impossible Whopper  (Read 3278 times)

Fansome

Vegan man sues Florida Burger King over Impossible Whopper
« on: November 19, 2019, 1750 UTC »
Vegan man sues Florida Burger King over Impossible Whopper
Burger King accused of deceptive practices

MIAMI – A vegan has filed a lawsuit against burger king over its “Impossible Whopper,” claiming it’s falsely promoted as meat-free.

The proposed class-action lawsuit says they’re cooked on the same grill as regular burgers, so they’re contaminated with meat by-products.

Philip Williams filed the suit on behalf of other vegans.

It accuses Burger King of deceptive practices by not disclosing they’re cooked on the same grill.

He says he wouldn’t have paid a premium price for one at an Atlanta Burger King if he’d known.

Burger King’s online menu says the impossible whopper is “zero percent beef” and says “for guests looking for a meat-free option, a non-broiler method of preparation is available upon request.”

The suit seeks compensation for everyone who bought the burger, and for burger king to clearly disclose on the menu that they use the same grill for all burgers.

Burger King told media outlets it does not comment on pending litigation.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Vegan man sues Florida Burger King over Impossible Whopper
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 1807 UTC »
"Man sues Burger King for putting real food in his fake meat"  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 2124 UTC »
https://www.plantbasednews.org/lifestyle/go-vegan-mixed-dna-found-meat-products

Will this mean that at some point in time, there will be Laboratory approved DNA testing seals of approval on my can of Spam?  ;)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 2312 UTC »
Isn't Spam made by that company, "Beyond Food"?

On a more cheerful note, "Beefy King" has reopened, after a case of arson. Yay!

Will this mean that at some point in time, there will be Laboratory approved DNA testing seals of approval on my can of Spam?  ;)

Offline Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 0105 UTC »
Wow! I read a reference to Beefy King in HFhunderground.... I nearly grew up in that Orlando Beefy King during the 1960s. It’s an Orlando icon.
Seminole county, Florida, USA, Earth, Solar System, Universe.Icom 7610 + attic dipole. Black coffee. Ketosis.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 0818 UTC »
I remember the one in Tampa in the 60's. Those "serve yourself mustard and ketchup dispensers" were a vision of the future for kids living further north. The guy who invented the "Super-Soaker Water Guns" was no doubt a visitor to Central and So. Fl. in those pre-second rate Wally World days. Fishing off the bridges and rasslin' gators was all there was to do down there in those days. Well, that and going Gibsonton to visit the Fansome family. You'd pull up in the drive-way and they would all come pouring out of the house chanting, "One of us,one of us...".

They were creepy, especially the pointy-headed one they called "Al" who was smitten with manatees. I wonder what became of him?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 1936 UTC »
Oh, he lives in a van down by the river with Elvis, Salmon Rushdie, and James Morrison.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 2353 UTC »
First and foremost, Spam is a product of Hormel Foods Corporation and has only 6 ingredients as follows:
Pork with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch (as a binder), sugar, and sodium nitrite (as a preservative).
Secondmost, Beyond Foods meatless product is comprised of water, pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, rice protein and other natural flavors, including apple extract and beet juice extract (for color).
Lastmost, Let's compare the above with Oscar Meyer hot dog ingredients: Mechanically separated turkey, mechanically separated chicken, pork, water, salt, ground mustard seed, sodium lactate, corn syrup, dextrose, sodium phosphates, sodium diacetate, sodium acorbate, sodium nitrate, and flavor.

By popular acclaim, we have a winner! SPAM!

Isn't Spam made by that company, "Beyond Food"?

On a more cheerful note, "Beefy King" has reopened, after a case of arson. Yay!

QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 0014 UTC »
SPAM lovers unite!  ;D
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 0713 UTC »
Veganism is a cult plain and simple.
My hypothesis is that due to lack of religion in modern society, we have these groups such as SJW and Vegans that treat arbitrary things as their religion. Most vegans don't base their thoughts on facts, but instead on blind belief.
Radio and Programming Blog: http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 1312 UTC »
My hypothesis is that due to lack of religion in modern society, we have these groups such as SJW and Vegans that treat arbitrary things as their religion. Most vegans don't base their thoughts on facts, but instead on blind belief.

You're actually closer to the truth than you possibly thought. The modern vegan movement is to a large extent based on the Seventh Day Adventist Church and their whacky bible based "Garden of Eden" dietary rules.  Google searches will turn up some very interesting articles about this.

They also run Loma Linda University, which coincidentally has been heavily involved in nutrition research (or their version of it) for quite some time, helping to skew public perception of what a healthy diet is. On top of that, they also run several food processing companies that sell (surprise!) plant based foods.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 1456 UTC »

A friend's son had a vegan girlfriend his second freshman year of college. They would go to the King. She would order the Whopper meal without the burger. If you saw her, you wouldn't ask why he dated the nutjob. She dances the exotic on her very own cam sites these days. Bright girl, she's smart enough to own her own content.

I think today is the first day of black powder rifle for bucks and it's nasty out. (Regular season opens on Monday) The only thing to look forward to on opening days like this were the fried Spam sandwiches slathered in mustard and wrapped in several layers of foil in the lunchbox back at the truck. Damn, they were good!

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 1955 UTC »

You're actually closer to the truth than you possibly thought. The modern vegan movement is to a large extent based on the Seventh Day Adventist Church and their whacky bible based "Garden of Eden" dietary rules.  Google searches will turn up some very interesting articles about this.

They also run Loma Linda University, which coincidentally has been heavily involved in nutrition research (or their version of it) for quite some time, helping to skew public perception of what a healthy diet is. On top of that, they also run several food processing companies that sell (surprise!) plant based foods.

How dare you expose the cult of ellen white and kellogs!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Fansome

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 0750 UTC »
You left out Spam's ingredient "soylent green".

First and foremost, Spam is a product of Hormel Foods Corporation and has only 6 ingredients as follows:
Pork with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch (as a binder), sugar, and sodium nitrite (as a preservative).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns