We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Western NY traffic  (Read 916 times)

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
Western NY traffic
« on: November 26, 2019, 1700 UTC »
Long time listener with the Rochester- Buffalo 11 meter radio traffic.  Active group talks on 30LSB during the daytime, frequents the Buffalo group on 38LSB and harasses them.   Grrrr.
  Frequent talk about IMAX antennas vs Penetrator, Liniar AMPs, ETC.
 I myself am curious about using FM, just like they do in Europe, channel 41 perhaps? 
 Anyone ever tried?  With CTCSS to combat the noise?   :-)

- Curious 45auto

Matt285

Re: Western NY traffic
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 2014 UTC »
I remember playing around with FM mobile on 11 meters years ago. I can't remember the distance of the contacts. Definitely local stuff. It was something cool to do if you had an HR2510 or RCI2950 when most just had SSB CB's

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Western NY traffic
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 1417 UTC »
Dear IZS4,

Thanks for the input. I am a long time VHF user looking to learn about the distance per watt ratio.   
   I understand that the lower frequency you go, you get farther per watt.   11 meters is curious.
   The noise factor gets in the way, that is why I seek CTCSS to block.
   Perhaps if I filter every nook of the radio, but these cheap electronics are rampant!  Grrrrr!

-friend 45auto.