We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Reminiscing on CB radio  (Read 1343 times)

Matt285

Reminiscing on CB radio
« on: November 29, 2019, 1352 UTC »
When I was around 10 or 11 years old I went to Tennessee to stay with my grandparents. They were avid garage sellers and My grandpa had bought a lot of CB equipment. Included in the sale was what I now remember a Maco 5/8 vertical, Cobra 23 channel base,D-104 desk mic and a big linear amplifier labeled 'Sweet Sixteen' We got it all set up and conditions were good. I immediately started working stations all over the east coast and mid west. I was hooked. I spent every spare minute on that radio. After that I would ask anyone with a Cb in their vehicle to use it. I later graduated to a Sears road talker with SSB. It was a whole new exciting world. I later learned about radios that 'go above 40' this seemed like such a mystery to me. I eventually purchased an HR2510 from a man at the lawnmower shop. This again was an even newer exciting world. The lingo was different, there were Q codes being used and I soon learned about QSL cards. I worked the world on that radio. When I was 16 I would sit for hours on top of parking garages using a 102'' whip and a 250 watt amplifier. I kept on with radio and eventually became a SW listener and a ham. I had times away. new jobs, kids being born, moving etc, but I have always come back. I still think about that summer in Tennessee all the time. I would have never dreamed has a kid how many radios I would own and all the exciting times I would have.

Offline Dude111

• View Profile
Reminiscing on CB radio
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 1743 UTC »
Ya I gotta get my antenna back up....... I miss 11 meters!!!

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reminiscing on CB radio
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 1935 UTC »
I have a ham license, but I don't have an expensive ham radio in the van I drive. I've got the at5555n an export radio that does everything that my radio ( still have) from the 70's does. I think its the best band as there are alot of people on. But I am so disapointted with the conditions, I look at the sfi numbers and its been low for years. Its a blast to get the conditions that are so magical. I turn the radio on as I drive and usually its dead, one morning there is a station in Italy and it has that almost echoey sound, as he is talking he mentions that a down pour is coming and I hear the drops hitting the tin roof..Made my day.
Something else, any lower frequency and your antenna just looses efficiency. I'd love to have that whip,but I just can't cut a big hole in the side of the van and have giant antenna,, I have a 44" base loaded larson.   

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 0019 UTC »
Oh what fun to set off every business alarm system as you pass by with several hundred watts of ssb into a very efficient 1/4w.

One time I was following a coworker home for dinner and was using the rig without paying much attention to what was going on around me. Apparently I had fried someone's stereo/amp system with black smoke coming out of their car and everything and they tried to get up to me as it was obvious my car was responsible as it was the only one that looked like a full size rc car, but my friend kept them at bay as I had no clue and happily drove on to his place. Never knew what had taken place till we got to his place and he jumped out of his car and said didn't you see those two guys who were trying to cut you off?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 2101 UTC »
There are alot of those car with the low bass or just very loud music, I'd love to shut it down for a moment. But like you said, it could get pretty confrontational pretty quick. I remember the interruptor door bells going off at a 7/11, and I've hear of radios overpowering PA systems.
They just built a fancy banquet hall across the street from my work location, I hope my radio won't get into their pa system, the'd be pretty upset to hear a ssb signal during some dance.
I've only got a wire antenna up and I am stealth for now.