We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Demise of Radionomy Marks the End of Free Streaming for Internet Radio?  (Read 877 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's all about greed and control,  http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2019/11/27/the-demise-of-radionomy-marks-the-end-of-free-streaming-for-internet-radio-broadcasters/

It always has been.  The music industry is a headless laviathan, and this new ruling probably means that a lot of small operators are going to have to shut down.  Everyone else will just make their streaming servers private and remove them from any public directory services like shoutcast or dir.xiph.org.  In an era where the only version of a song you can buy is a watermarked MP3, it serves the music industry right to sink with their own ship.  Piracy is going to come back with a vengeance.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
It's all about greed and control,  http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2019/11/27/the-demise-of-radionomy-marks-the-end-of-free-streaming-for-internet-radio-broadcasters/

It always has been.  The music industry is a headless laviathan, and this new ruling probably means that a lot of small operators are going to have to shut down.  Everyone else will just make their streaming servers private and remove them from any public directory services like shoutcast or dir.xiph.org.  In an era where the only version of a song you can buy is a watermarked MP3, it serves the music industry right to sink with their own ship.  Piracy is going to come back with a vengeance.

+-RH

The subscription model is taking everything over, from news to music to books to movies -- a lot of older industries like the movie theater, free OTA broadcasting and newsprint are headed the way of the dodo -- some quicker than others. Of course, one always paid to get into movie theaters, but you didn't pay monthly (whether you went or not). That will change. Eventually.

It's sad that internet radio is sinking like a stone, unless you're part of one of the big companies. In the 1990's one of the hawked benefits of the emerging "information superhighway" was that there would be all this free access to information, and the radio aspect would be free, also. That changed fairly quickly.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline WWBR

• Somewhere in the Great Lakes
  • WWBR Worldwide Basement Radio, WILD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Whatever a corporation touches always goes to crap. 99.99999% of the time, this is the case. In the process of "we want to profitize everything", we end up with the "pirates" and "indies" in almost all fields. These pirates/indies almost always have much better quality than the corporate offerings, and, as such, draw their glare of "We'll destroy you!" every time. It is up to those with knowledge to bring the people something that isn't homogenized beyond usefulness.

The main problem is, our government lets corporations and special (greedy) interests to write all the laws in their favor, and the people lose, every time. There is no party looking after the interests of "We the People" anymore. The only choice is the "pirate" scene.
Grundig Satellit 800 ME with 35' sloper
Realistic DX440 with random wire
Realistic DX120 with random wire
Various vintage Portables
Transmitter: Yaesu FT757GX
Inverted V, mounted 20' above a chainlink fence, N to S
Comments and reception reports welcome.
eQSL to radio.boogie@protonmail.com