We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Kielbasa  (Read 1780 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Kielbasa
« on: December 05, 2019, 1926 UTC »
I was in the Baltimore area today, so I managed to get some Ostrowski's kielbasa. Yum!

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kielbasa
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 2144 UTC »
Chris, you need to have some perogies to go along with the fresh kielbasa. If you come to WNY try these...https://babciaspierogi.com
Don't forget the side of cinnamon applesauce.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 2147 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 0024 UTC »
Chris, you need to have some perogies to go along with the fresh kielbasa. If you come to WNY try these...https://babciaspierogi.com
Don't forget the side of cinnamon applesauce.

We have perogies every Xmas season.  The potato and cheese ones are awesome but the sauerkraut ones are wonderful also.  In Wisconsin,  Kielbasa is always a year round staple.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 0102 UTC »
Gentlemen, please stop...your making me hungry.  Hungry enough to brave traffic and empty the bank account at the local shrine to all things Polish.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 0346 UTC »
K  KIELBASA

L

Oh, wait...
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 1124 UTC »
My Grandma and I used to make sausage along the lines of kielbasa. We raised our own hogs and grew Cayenne peppers for the hot stuff. Wiping the sweat off your forehead with your pepper pitching hand was a mistake you made only once.

She was the famous Bob Evans mother's cousin. That guy went from being a dirt farmer to being a multi-millionaire by cornering the hog market in a three state area. He actually wore those silly cowboy hats you see on the company logos. When the Evans'
sold their controlling interest in the restaurants a decade or so back, they became a place to avoid. The farm museum is still a nice place to visit.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 1252 UTC »
A few amazing but true coincidences, here goes:

1). My mother's side of the family were Polish Coal Miners from the Anthracite region of central Pennsylvania.  I was born on the lower east side of New York City bordering Eastern European and Italian immigrant/first generation communities.  We took our Easter Basket filled with the makings of a Polish Easter Breakfast to be blessed at the neighborhood Polish Church annually - kielbasa prominently featured.  Mother's maiden name Podchajski - Americanized to Podhayski

2) My older son is currently vacationing by visiting the Polish Christmas markets; I'm getting a daily Pierogi consumption count from Krakow, Warsaw, and Gdansk.

3) Tuesday, I canned up 7 quarts of sauerkraut (my secret ingredient is caraway seed), from 15 pounds of of cabbage, which fermented in my front hallway for six weeks.

https://imgur.com/a/Zvy98Cg.  (Someday I will learn how to make an image just appear on a post)

Now, pass the horseradish  ;)!

PS - Very clever, JFarley - touche!      Traveling Wave - I do applesauce, too.  You are right about the accompaniment.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 1518 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 1416 UTC »

3) Tuesday, I canned up 7 quarts of sauerkraut (my secret ingredient is caraway seed), from 15 pounds of of cabbage, which fermented in my front hallway for six weeks.

I love sauerkraut! I have trouble finding good ones since I don't make it myself. Wanna ship a jar of yours up to me? :D

We just lost a good Polish market/restaurant up here. I think the lady who ran it got too old but her cooking was fabulous. I'll miss it.

- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 1452 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns