We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The holy grail of digital voice modes? Hope so...  (Read 1312 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
The holy grail of digital voice modes? Hope so...
« on: December 25, 2019, 1941 UTC »
I'd love to see this come out, but I have a feeling it will be beyond my price range.    https://swling.com/blog/2016/05/european-hams-announce-new-radio-a-dual-band-multi-mode-radio-to-support-dmr-d-star-and-c4fm/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: The holy grail of digital voice modes? Hope so...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 2241 UTC »
Still haven't seen the big selling point of digi over fm analog.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 1230 UTC »
Because it's new. Duh! You saw how New Coke sold hand over fist.

The thing about New Coke is it made a comeback as "Coke Zero" in this decade. Same flavorings but with artificial sweeteners. You can't keep a good fizzy water down.

I swear if you put up a sign that said "Free Black Eyes And Broken Noses!" people would be lined up for miles waiting to get theirs.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 2119 UTC »
I've had a dual band DMR handheld for a year now and probably talked on it for about 5 minutes. It reminds me of Echolink. Not 'radio' enough for my tastes. Sounds like really bad VOIP.

The C4FM is interesting, as I am all on board with HF digital. Too bad there isn't a C4FM modem like the old AOR digital HF modem, but priced reasonably. FreeDV is fun but hardly anyone uses it.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire