We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 11 meters CB for prepping?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
11 meters CB for prepping?
« on: December 11, 2019, 1915 UTC »
  Long time prepper, constantly getting ready for the "Big One".
  Figuring all cell phone/internet devices will be disabled, CB Radios will be prime real estate.   
  If this should occur, nobody will follow the AM/SSB gentleman rules, therefore we are investing
  in flexible freeband export radios, and possible VHF too. 
   Recently learning about FM freeband, ie 27,415 mhz ETC.
   Has anyone ever tried 11 meters FM?  CTCSS tones for privacy?

-looking to learn - 45auto Upstate NY.     

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Re: 11 meters CB for prepping?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 2207 UTC »
I've looked into FM and CTCSS for CB and options are very limited. These radios - Anytone Apollo II/Stryker SR-94HPC - reportedly have an add on board.

The things to remember about prepping and comms are:

a) you need the right radio(s) to hear the news and information you need to hear
b) you need the right radio(s) to communicate with the ones you need to communicate with

CB is one option but fewer non-hobbyists have them now. Even truckers are getting away from them now that they have Waze and other GPS apps. I have noticed that the number of 18 wheelers with CB antennas on the highway is getting smaller all the time. If you and your group have them, then that is great but don't expect it to be your only source of outside information.

Being able to monitor numerous radio services - AM/FM broadcast, CB, ham, public safety, shortwave, etc - will allow you to gather up quite a bit of information when things go bad. Even during severe weather events radio can offer an insight as to what is going on in your neighborhood, town, or region.

Practice using them BEFORE an event occurs so that you are fluent in their use. Trying to figure out how to program a scanner to listen to your local police department while you are distracted with the stress of the event won't work out too well. Calling your buddy on 27.415 MHz FM for help after he loses power and has no backup power won't do you much good.

Regular use and familiarity of radio communications gear is critical.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 0217 UTC by Σ »
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 0011 UTC »
Not a prepper myself, but Im sure CB would be quite popular. While CB radio has seen a decline in recent years, there are still thousands of CB radios in peoples garages, attics etc. Having a source of reliable power for tx/rx would be my main concern. While VHF/UHF are great for communications they would be limited with the possible loss of repeaters in such a situation. I would want to have all modes and bands available. There is a huge source of foreign radios with TX/RX capabilities beyond the standard CB, FRS,GMRS and even amateur bands. I would definitely want to have a source of general HF receive capability as it would be somewhat likely that some SW broadcast would be available at some point. 

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 0014 UTC »
This is a bit off topic, but I would also consider an investment in low loss coax for the VHF/UHF aspect of your needs. These high frequencies have a lot of loss when transmitting to a base antenna in comparison to HF frequencies.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 0108 UTC »
I imagine cb will become the party line in shtf.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 1430 UTC »
 Thanks everyone for your input!
 YES!  I did purchase the Stryker SR-94.
  Very flexible radio indeed, easy to modify and the CTCSS board was not too hard to install.
  I am perplexed by the noise involved with this band, and fear we will be in competition with DX skip. 
  Especially as the 11 year cycle opens up - we would be flooded by freeband SSB users.   
  Keeping an open mind, and looking for backup power sources. 

45auto in Upstate NY

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 1524 UTC »
I'd stick to MW or A.M. as you call it over there....

Much better groundwave out a lot further + skywave at night.

I'm looking to market my product to you Preppers!

PM me for more info!

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 1631 UTC »
This set might qualify for shtf, and can be MARS modded for 11m and so on;
https://www.radioddity.com/products/xiegu-g90-hf-transceiver
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 2348 UTC »
I still can't imagine owning a rig that didn't have SSB capabilities on HF even at 10/11 meters. Just my opinion.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 0026 UTC »
If I was a prepper I'd go with twitter or youtube.    8)

~