We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UnkID numbers station, EE YL 5l, 11000 kHz AM, multiple time slots Jan 21, 2012  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
The odd Unknown EE OM 5 letter group transmissions that have been taking place on 10400, 11000, 13400, and 16000 with a male synthesized voice today had a female synthesized voice, a different pace, and a new message.  It also transmitted in multiple time slots and today all the transmissions so far that I have received have been in AM.

The new voice and pace is hard to understand, also the odd pronunciations doesn’t help a lot.

The message now starts with “Golf Romeo 1 8   November 9 Yankee” and ends with “end of message   end of message”.  The OM voice messages in the past contained no EOM statement.  Today’s message does contain 18 groups and takes about 90 seconds to complete a cycle.

Video of the transmission at 1436 UTC here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJ0uu1e0e4

Video of the old voice on the same frequency here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMwE7gvcNk

1433 - 1458 UTC, UnkID, EE, YL, 5l, 11000 kHz, AM*.  First time period noted.  Tuned to in progress.  Prior to my tuning to the station another listener reported hearing a short burst, just a few notes of music over top of one of the 5 letter gorups.  There is a recording of this available (not my recording but I have a copy).  It sounds like the alert music for an incoming Instant Message.  Transmission ended in mid letter.

1515 – 1541 UTC, UnkID, EE, YL, 5l, 11000 kHz AM*.  Second time period noted.  Tuned to the transmission during the first cycle (noted carrier come up on the SDR waterfall and tuned to it a few seconds later, message was in progress).  Again the transmission ended in mid letter.

1600 – 1627 UTC, UnkID, EE, YL, 5l, 11000 kHz AM*.  Second time period noted.  Tuned to the transmission during the first cycle (noted carrier come up on the SDR waterfall and tuned to it a few seconds later, message was in progress).  About 1625:15 the IM message alert sound occurred and 20 seconds later the sound of a creaking door closing and slamming was heard, this sound is often used for IM programs to indicate someone has signed off.  30 seconds after that the transmission ended again in mid letter.

The voice used today was rather hard to understand.  I would say this is pretty ineffective to get a message across.  Of course, since the same message was repeated more than 15 times each time period I guess there was ample opportunity to correct any wrong heard letters.

This station has a fake or amateur like feel to it (and by amateur I do not mean a “ham radio” feel or sound, but rather I mean “not professional”).  I would be tempted to call it a fake, but if so it is a determined fake.  It has been operational for months, it is heard over a wide area (probably fair power level, today remotes in Japan heard it weakly and I could hear it here in California usably, but it was loud on every remote in Europe that I tried, Finland to Greece, and UK to Moscow), some days (like today) it has transmitted for over an hour total time.  So I end up believing it is probably not a fake after all, but really, who knows.

*For those not familiar with the shorthand sometimes used in radio, particularly with regards to numbers stations, “UnkID, EE, YL, 5l” means “Unknown station (UnkID), English language (EE), female voice (YL), 5 letter groups repeated one time each (5l).

T!

T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns