We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Most range, less noise?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
Most range, less noise?
« on: December 16, 2019, 1643 UTC »
  Dear experienced friends,  I seek to explore the 10/11 meters band, looking to find the ideal channel, best range, less noise.
  I know...."The Holy Grail" hee hee!   
  Playing with AM, but too static prone.
  Playing with FM, better but still bursts of static.
  Tried the FM with CTCSS, but still feel like I'm struggling with background noise.
  Sampled sideband like IZS4 suggested, seems to be more silent, yet curious about DX trespassers.
  Do they make sideband with CTCSS??   

45auto in Upstate NY. 

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Most range, less noise?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 1806 UTC »
Well, the basic question that I have is, what do you want to do with the 10 / 11M region? Sounds to me like you want a private dispatch FREQ. Years ago, CB's could be equipped with an audible Tone Burst that opened the Squelch. My Aunt and Uncle in Alaska had that back in 1985, and up there that worked well. How well? From the base of the then Mt McKinley to North Pole, AK. (Look just how far that is on Google, or Bing, Maps.) Then again, on a 30ft river berm, you can see that mountain once you were above the tree tops. They only used AM at the time, and not SSB, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The problem that I did see with that Tone Blare system was, it wasn't really private, since it would certainly get the attention on anyone on the channel that they were using this. Now, there still exist, but very rare today, legal license-free 11M paging on 27.195MHz. (Yeah, just above CB CH19. I think I've got that right.) That is for data only and I had a chance to work with one such system in college, since the college staff used that on campus, and even beyond. Ya know, with the major migration of licensed LMR (Land Mobile Radio.) going to higher FREQ's like VHF High and UHF, you should be able to snag yourself a VHF Low channel between 29.7 - 49MHz. What you could do there is CTCSS, Voice Scramble, maybe get a repeater FREQ pair, some more possibilities there, but not super cheap. It's like  a few hundred dollars for the LMR license. The good news is that there's a surplus of used VHF Low Band radios just being dumped-off, so getting a transceiver for there won't be hard, and most radio shops can still program them. So, that's some so-called legal options to try. If you do Outbanding, it's best to do research to see who would be using those CB Outbander FREQ's, so that you can step on as few toes as possible. The US Gov still claims most of those FREQ's. Good luck!!! 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 1939 UTC »
I was curious. Do you have a friend with a Transceiver that has the same capabilities as you do, such as outbanding, fm etc and is withing your range to help with your experimenting?

Offline 45auto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 2058 UTC »
 Thank you DOOD and IZS4!

Yes, I am seeking a secure base/mobile between my wife and I.   
  Not looking to step on anybody's toes, just want an obscure channel in the CB or freeband spectrum.

God bless my patient wife, dropping the laundry, responding to my habitual hails.
  She says the base radio squaks annoying static noise.    27,455 MHZ.
   Recently learned about A.L.E. used by the UN governments, but we don't have that kind of money, Ha ha!
   This is a hobby, nothing life threatening.
      -Thanks for listening - 45auto  Upstate NY

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 0059 UTC »
I think there is plenty of space within 26.500 and 27.999 to find some room. I think the key would be to find a few frequencies that aren't call frequencies such as 27.385, 27.55 and a few others and have the other person be knowledgeable of the 2,3 frequencies to wait on for a certain period of time to hear back from you. Im going to PM you. I have a few curiosity questions about living in upstate NY from a born and raised Floridian.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns