We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "A" Beacon 2097 Returns  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: "A" Beacon 2097 Returns
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2020, 0205 UTC »
Guess who is baaaack!!!  0155 utc "A" booming in here in northern Utah!

Nice!

73, Mark
Stay Safe!

Thanks Mark! You made my day. I'm glad the claims about its demise were untrue. I really appreciate the efforts of the beacon owner to bring it back on the air.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2020, 0422 UTC »
Our dystopian world just became a little sunnier.  :D
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2020, 0711 UTC »
Not sure how legit the use of an online SDR is for reports, but my home antenna is severely compromised right now. Am hearing the A beacon loud and clear (close to an S7 signal) on the KPH SDR in Point Reyes, CA, at approximately 0700 utc.

It is indeed comforting to hear it's trusty signal winging it's way through the night air.
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline DYGradio

• San Tan Valley, AZ
  • All intercepts via my home receivers
    • View Profile
    • WB5DYG Amateur Radio
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2020, 1823 UTC »
Got it here in Central AZ mid day. 18:22 UTC 15 APR 2020
Ron
WB5DYG
San Tan Valley, AZ  Grid square DM43ff
www.wb5dyg.com

Icom IC-R8500/IC-R7000/IC-718/Airspy HF+/Airspy HF+ Discovery/Hammarlund HQ-180A
Vertical, longwire, and other antennas

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2020, 0603 UTC »
Good solid S6 into the KPH SDR in Point Reyes, Northern CA at 0603 utc (1103pm local time).
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2020, 0840 UTC »
0840 UTC Weak signal, and a lot of static from storms, but great to hear A again.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2020, 1354 UTC »
Not sure how legit the use of an online SDR is for reports, but my home antenna is severely compromised right now. Am hearing the A beacon loud and clear (close to an S7 signal) on the KPH SDR in Point Reyes, CA, at approximately 0700 utc.

It is indeed comforting to hear it's trusty signal winging it's way through the night air.

As long as you report the location of the receiver, vs your physical location, I see no difference in using a remote or traveling to that location and using your own gear.

Unfortunately, some people do not understand there is a difference, do not mention they are using remotes, and can be misleading.  Other people actually think their location is the only one that matters, and the remote they are accessing is somehow hearing what is at their location.  That is a discussion I have had with a surprising number of new listeners online.

As a general rule if I use a remote or I report a signal heard on a remote, I also try to mention how the signal was received at my actual location.  Something like "heard at S7 on the XYZ remote in Crumville, CA, but not heard on my local receiver here in the Mojave Desert of CA".

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2020, 2122 UTC »
That's in line with my general thoughts too, Token. My main HF antenna has been down for a few months, so online SDR's are my only choice. However, even when it was up, I am in a fairly noisy and less than ideal urban location. The KPH SDR is in roughly the same part of the world as me, so represents close to what I could hear if I had a better location and good antenna.

My thinking is that a reception report, whether from a local receiver, or online SDR, is a data point and, as such, is potentially useful. Important, as you say, to note the location of any online SDR being used.
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns