We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Reports: iHeartMedia undergoing layoffs, including at Syracuse, Rochester radio  (Read 2402 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
According to All Access, a memo sent to staff informed them that the revamp will lead to “employee dislocation," including layoffs. It’s unclear how many jobs will be cut, but every iHeartRadio website has removed the personal blogs and bios for its on-air personalities at more than 850 radio stations.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/01/reports-iheartmedia-undergoing-layoffs-including-at-syracuse-rochester-radio-stations.html

For other iHeartMedia employees, the first sign of trouble came early Tuesday morning, when the company sent employees an email announcing a “new organizational structure.” The memo, obtained by Rolling Stone, seemed plucked partly from a corporate-culture parody like Office Space. It opened with chest-puffing (“we are the #1 audio company in America”) and then slathered on numbing layers of business jargon (new institutions include “the Integrated Revenue Strategies Group” and “Excellence Centers”).

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/iheartmedia-mass-layoffs-937513/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 1417 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rumor on the street is about 1200 people are getting axed.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
Race to the bottom in overdrive now...    :(

~

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Having been self employed now for a number of years, I am not up on all the new corporate euphemisms; "employee dislocation" was a new one for me. I do remember excellence centers, however, actually the phrase "center of excellence" was used by a mega-corporation that acquired the company I worked for at the time. When they started to use phrases like "rationalizing redundancies" I decided it was time to get out of Dodge.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
the phrase "center of excellence" was used by a mega-corporation that acquired the company I worked for at the time.

COEs have largely fallen out of favour for a few years. Not really replaced with anything though. Interesting that these guys are more-or-less keeping it. Perhaps that means they are behind the times on other things too.

"Dislocation", "cost reduction", "harmonization" and "closer integration" are the new buzzwords for redundancies.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Iheart goes through a restructuring about every decade.  I have a feeling larger changes are on the horizon,  all heresay at this point however.

+-RH

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
100% AI, or 'post human' (Alex Jonesy). Yeah, that'll work.    :D

~

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Technically, since radio stations are no longer required to have a a physical studio at the location of broadcasting, they can consolidate to a single national location and have everything programmed and linked out to the cities of broadcast and make all of these high powered stations kind of like translators. Actually, NPR has done that for years in various states, (Like here in WV.), and nationally K-Love is doing that now,   http://www.klove.com/    Take this to a commercial level and there you go. The idea of just a handful of people doing programming and sales to a few hundred stations nation-wide is a golden goose that would be just too hard to pass up. As it is, most of those people left can do their tasks from home. I can see commercial and non-profit conglomerates going to that model exclusively this decade.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Surely there will be no rise in monopolies because of these shenanigans.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Technically, since radio stations are no longer required to have a a physical studio at the location of broadcasting, they can consolidate to a single national location and have everything programmed and linked out to the cities of broadcast and make all of these high powered stations kind of like translators. Actually, NPR has done that for years in various states, (Like here in WV.), and nationally K-Love is doing that now,   http://www.klove.com/    Take this to a commercial level and there you go. The idea of just a handful of people doing programming and sales to a few hundred stations nation-wide is a golden goose that would be just too hard to pass up. As it is, most of those people left can do their tasks from home. I can see commercial and non-profit conglomerates going to that model exclusively this decade.

Just another addition to the consolidation (and accompanying layoffs of people in the radio business) that took place after Telecom 1996. Anyone I knew in the industry is probably looking at the door now, even if they don't work for IHeart. The trend isn't exactly heartening (pun intended).

A lot of guys online talk about radio being live and local, but there are only so many people a small, live and local operation can take on. Many of them are running on thin margins because of a decreasing number of advertisers -- which is another factor in play here. Local mom & pop stores don't advertise as much on radio, and there are tons of other advertising options (online).
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email

This isn't too far from the rumors I'm hearing.  Why else did most of the layoffs happen in programming and on-air...

Plus, remote voice-tracking of air shifts has been going on for well over 20 years.  Some jock working from home can be on 6 stations coast to coast, and do it all before lunch.

+-RH
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 0054 UTC by redhat »

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
iheart's biz. model only works if there is a pool of brainwashed listeners, oh wait...    ;D

~

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
As long as money is coming in the door from advertisers, nothing will change.

+-RH

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I fart in their direction.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Surely there will be no rise in monopolies because of these shenanigans.

Ya think? Lol.

Because of increased fragmentation in the broadcasting / online-broadcasting model, I can't see how the big radio companies debt will go down any time soon. And then you have the issues with advertising dollars. Some stations are making money hand over fist, but the corporations are still in debt. The fragmentation of advertising is also pushing this new model.

From what I've read elsewhere, it's not just radio, but other industries aren't seeing the advertising dollars they used to depend on to keep their business afloat.

In one station in Iowa, the sports hosts were brought back because of 'audience complaints' -- one guy on another forum said he thinks perhaps it was actually the advertisers who complained, as they were seeing results from advertising on that highly rated show.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns