We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Tram 1411 Discone  (Read 1874 times)

Matt285

Tram 1411 Discone
« on: February 08, 2020, 2201 UTC »
Today I received a Tram 1411 Discone in the mail. I have no real UHF/VHF antennas up and needed something to experiment with for a wideband SDR receiver im getting. I can't say how performance will be, but I'm quite impressed with the construction so far for the price. It's much more heavy duty than I had imagined. 

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tram 1411 Discone
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 1954 UTC »
Tram 1411 has the SO-239.

See here for an image of how it is to be mounted. Not sure if Tram included the short mounting pipe to side-mount on a mast.

If not, then you would need to use a mast with an open end, and pass the coax down through that. If you are mounting to a chimney mount, tripod mount, eave mount or wall mount, this shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.radioresearch.us/Antenna-Broad-Band-Discone-Scanner-Base-25-1300-p/1411.htm

If it didn't come with the short mast and side clamp, you can improvise with a short piece of EMT or PVC and a antenna mast clamp. The antenna does not have to be electrically connected to the mast, so either way it should work fine.

That said, I would use EMT or similar metal pipe so you can ground the whole mast and ground plane radials.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Matt285

Re: Tram 1411 Discone
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 1958 UTC »
Yup. I was able to cut a short piece of metal pipe at work and even came across the mast clamps I needed, so I'm good to go on the mounting. I want to seal any potential water intrusion points as well before permanent mounting. Thanks for the feedback.