We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KKOH DX test  (Read 856 times)

Offline ku4a

• Lexington KY USA
    • View Profile
    • KU4A
    • Email
KKOH DX test
« on: February 15, 2020, 2204 UTC »
Copied from an e-mail I just received:

With special thanks to Chief Engineer Daniel Appellof, and Broadcaster/DX’er Paul Walker, we have arranged for a DX Test tonight for KKOH 780 Khz in Reno, Nevada. At approximately midnight Pacific time, KKOH will switch to 50 KW Non-directional. They plan to run 15-20 minutes of DX Test material that we have provided.

This material includes sweep tones, Morse Code IDs at 700 hz (10 words per minute), telephone off-hook sounds, and vintage voice sounders for the station. The sweep tones and telephone sounders are especially good at cutting through noise, and should give many DX’ers a chance to log the station.

After the test period, KKOH 780 will power down the transmitter for additional maintenance. This will provide a “silent period” for West Coast DX’ers to log new stations on 780 Khz.

When the maintenance concludes, the station will power back up. They may or may not repeat the DX Test material at that time. The maintenance is expected to take about six hours, possibly less.

This is a rare chance to log Nevada, and for those in the Western US to log new stations on 780 KHz as well.

Please spread the word via e-mail lists, chat rooms, etc. DX Tests are rare these days. I hope that everyone will join me in expressing our gratitude to Daniel and Paul.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KKOH DX test
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 0828 UTC »
I woke up early this morning to give it a listen from 0756-0818 UTC, but mostly inconclusive. WBBM, as usual, was S9+ most of the time. I did hear some upward sweeping tones briefly at threshold at 0808 UTC, as well as some music(?) near the end of the listening period that seemed to QRT at 0815 or so. I guess Nevada remains on my list of states to log on the broadcast band.....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 0856 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 1117 UTC »
Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this one.   :)
However,  nothing heard here in the fades of WBBM other than the usual rumble.
So it was worth a try but Nevada remains elusive here.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 1737 UTC »
I needed my sleep, so I didn't stay up for this signal outage and test. KKOH, as you might expect, dominates 780 out here in the Pacific Northwest. As a result, I haven't yet been patient enough to mess around with my antenna and see if I can ever hear traces of WBBM underneath.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop