We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KAZA 1290 AM 0312 UTC 17 Feb. 2020  (Read 622 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
KAZA 1290 AM 0312 UTC 17 Feb. 2020
« on: February 17, 2020, 1741 UTC »
While listening to KGVO out of Missoula, I heard music swelling up underneath, so I nulled the Montana station as best I could and, after a few moments, matched the Vietnamese ballad I was hearing with an online stream for KAZA, known as “Viên Thao Radio,” out of Gilroy, California. By 0316 UTC, the music gave way to a female speaking in Vietnamese. The station stayed mostly audible among the frequency’s competing stations, and occasionally equaled KGVO. At intervals, there were musical stings that sounded like part of a newscast. Then a new song in Vietnamese started at 0336 UTC.

This one’s listed as just 88 watts at night. If that's the true wattage, it was traveling the 760-plus miles to me nicely.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop