We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Altrenating buzz, knocks, etc  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Dr. Dickie

• View Profile
    • Email
Altrenating buzz, knocks, etc
« on: February 25, 2020, 1330 UTC »
I was dialing around after trying to get the Cuban numbers station (I got it on Sunday at 21 UTC) on Monday. I stumbled across a station on 11518 AM that played a very odd collection of buzzes, knocks, and other odd digital sounds. It would start and then stop for a few minutes, then get going again.  Don't know how long it lasted as I gave up after about 45 minutes, this was around 21 to 21:30 UTC in Florida.
Will try to find it again tonight, has anyone else head this station? No voice that I heard.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 1333 UTC by Dr. Dickie »

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Altrenating buzz, knocks, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 1801 UTC »
You can always find HM01 here:
1600z 1630z 11435khz
1700z 1730z 11530khz
1800z 1830z 11635khz
2100z 2130z 2200z 2230z frequencies vary depending on day of the week - see numbers & oddities files.
As far as what you copied, I have no idea.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 1934 UTC »
I'm in Florida as well. I will try to remember to take a listen. Not sure that I'd be much help either though.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 2330 UTC »
Not trying to sound snarky or anything like that, just trying to be helpful, so if it comes off short or snarky that is accidental.

You have supplied frequency, time, and day in UTC, and that is a good start, but more information is even better.  That data helps if the signal is something often on that frequency/day/time, but what if the signal is more transient?

Recordings.  The description used tells us very little about the actual signal.  Buzzes, knocks, and other odd digital sounds is a pretty wide field of possibilities.  An audio, or video with audio, recording would go a long way towards identifying what you heard.  There is a pretty good chance that any one of several people on the forum would be able to answer the query from hearing such a recording.

More information.  What kind of radio and antenna were you using?  This kind of information may seem excessive at first glance, but the kind of radio can indicate the possible receiver bandwith, thus increase or decrease the potential frequency range for consideration.  The type of antenna can give an indication of how deep / far, or the coverage area of signals, to consider in suggestions.  What mode were you using at the time you heard the signal?  The same signal can have very different sounds in AM than it would in USB, as an example.

The more data / information the more likely to get a correct suggestion.  Recordings, if you have a traditional radio, or recordings and screen shots if you have an SDR, are the biggest tools.  The equipment used and conditions are very good to know.  Complete descriptions of how you heard the signal, frequency, mode, signal strength, etc, helps narrow down the potential signal pool.  And last, what the signal sounded like, but different people will often describe the same signal different ways.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Dr. Dickie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 2328 UTC »
Not trying to sound snarky or anything like that, just trying to be helpful, so if it comes off short or snarky that is accidental.

You have supplied frequency, time, and day in UTC, and that is a good start, but more information is even better.  That data helps if the signal is something often on that frequency/day/time, but what if the signal is more transient?

Recordings.  The description used tells us very little about the actual signal.  Buzzes, knocks, and other odd digital sounds is a pretty wide field of possibilities.  An audio, or video with audio, recording would go a long way towards identifying what you heard.  There is a pretty good chance that any one of several people on the forum would be able to answer the query from hearing such a recording.

More information.  What kind of radio and antenna were you using?  This kind of information may seem excessive at first glance, but the kind of radio can indicate the possible receiver bandwith, thus increase or decrease the potential frequency range for consideration.  The type of antenna can give an indication of how deep / far, or the coverage area of signals, to consider in suggestions.  What mode were you using at the time you heard the signal?  The same signal can have very different sounds in AM than it would in USB, as an example.

The more data / information the more likely to get a correct suggestion.  Recordings, if you have a traditional radio, or recordings and screen shots if you have an SDR, are the biggest tools.  The equipment used and conditions are very good to know.  Complete descriptions of how you heard the signal, frequency, mode, signal strength, etc, helps narrow down the potential signal pool.  And last, what the signal sounded like, but different people will often describe the same signal different ways.

T!

Not snarky at all. I am a total noob here.
Don't know, like I said I was listening the cuban number station (which is fairly regular) and was tuning around and heard odd noise station on 11.851. Sorry, it was AM, not ssb.  The strength was not great, certainly no 59, probably 3-5.
I just got a second chance to listen again tonight and did not hear it.
It was pretty consistent for the time I listened, but no idea if it is regular or not.
I am a HAM, using a Yaesu FT-950 on a OCFD.
Seems to do better on 11 than 17 (as I was listening the Cuban number station tonight a 22 UTC on 17480 and it was weak compared to what I got on 11530.
I was just wondering if anyone else had run across this station. I will be on the look out for it more.
But the times I can get on are very sporatic.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 2349 UTC by Dr. Dickie »

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns