We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Why We Should Be Eating MORE Meat, Not Less (The full story in 15 min)  (Read 2286 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
My big problem with this video is right here: https://youtu.be/MxW-JKLeu1k?t=258

No one that I am paying attention to is telling anyone to consume more processed plant foods. In fact, the opposite. These things were pushed in the past as cheap substitutes for real food but people have wised up.  Less processing is much more prevalent now. So because the corn industry pushed to have corn syrup put in everything decades ago and to then make the leap that therefore all plant-based food is weak is out of touch with current reality.

In regaling us with bioavailability info, the presenter neglected things like fiber. Good luck finding a meat that has a better fiber content than a plant-based food.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
In regaling us with bioavailability info, the presenter neglected things like fiber. Good luck finding a meat that has a better fiber content than a plant-based food.

FWIW, while this may be counter-intuitive due to the promotion of fiber for digestive issues, there's actually evidence/studies to the contrary. I may have posted some links here previously. As with most things regarding nutrition... it's complicated  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
I may have posted some links here previously. As with most things regarding nutrition... it's complicated  :)

I was unable to find any of your links on here so if you wish to share a link, please do.

Those of us that are older need the help of fiber for proper "waste removal". ;) Anecdotally, I can tell you that for me, nothing comes close to the effects of dietary fibre in this regard.  :)

Also, correlation of low fibre intake with incidence of intestinal cancer has been established.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I may have posted some links here previously. As with most things regarding nutrition... it's complicated  :)

I was unable to find any of your links on here so if you wish to share a link, please do.

Those of us that are older need the help of fiber for proper "waste removal". ;) Anecdotally, I can tell you that for me, nothing comes close to the effects of dietary fibre in this regard.  :)

Also, correlation of low fibre intake with incidence of intestinal cancer has been established.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3544045/
CONCLUSION: Dietary fiber intake can obviously increase stool frequency in patients with constipation. It does not obviously improve stool consistency, treatment success, laxative use and painful defecation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
CONCLUSION: Idiopathic constipation and its associated symptoms can be effectively reduced by stopping or even lowering the intake of dietary fiber.

I can speak from my personal experience that reducing / nearly eliminating fiber intake also eliminated frequent constipation.  It's entirely possible of course that different people behave differently and some subsegment of the population benefits. But clearly fiber is not a requirement for everyone to prevent constipation.

One additional pro-fiber claim is it improves digestive health via production of butyrate from fiber digestion (that's the cancer reduction claim). It's quite easy to obtain butyrate from your diet instead by eating foods rich in it, such as butter.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3544045/
CONCLUSION: Dietary fiber intake can obviously increase stool frequency in patients with constipation. It does not obviously improve stool consistency, treatment success, laxative use and painful defecation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
CONCLUSION: Idiopathic constipation and its associated symptoms can be effectively reduced by stopping or even lowering the intake of dietary fiber.

I can speak from my personal experience that reducing / nearly eliminating fiber intake also eliminated frequent constipation.  It's entirely possible of course that different people behave differently and some subsegment of the population benefits. But clearly fiber is not a requirement for everyone to prevent constipation.

I'm glad that you figured out what helps you.

Everyone has a different level of "necessary". Not everyone suffers from idiopathic constipation too. If that were the case then there would not be the broad guidelines based upon quantities of human studies and the anecdotal evidence, that in general, fiber is, to some degree or another, useful for most people.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 2200 UTC by KaySeeks »

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
We tried Beyond Meat burgers at home. Made chaffles for buns. it was gross. The Beyond Meat, that is. Chaffles the only thing that made it palatable. No amount of Lee & Perrins or ketchup could possibly fix this poison.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
We tried Beyond Meat burgers at home. Made chaffles for buns. it was gross. The Beyond Meat, that is. Chaffles the only thing that made it palatable. No amount of Lee & Perrins or ketchup could possibly fix this poison.

There's a lot of rather unsavory, and possibly questionable, ingredients in that stuff. A food scientist noted some time ago that the ingredients list is very similar to low end dog food.

Even during the peak of the shutdowns when some found it difficult to find real meat at the store, sales of fake meat went down:

Obligatory photo of the otherwise empty meat case, but still stuffed with fake meat that no one wanted to buy:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD