We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Room Monitors  (Read 1176 times)

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
Room Monitors
« on: March 09, 2020, 2151 UTC »
Does anyone know of a room monitoring device that operates @ 254 Mhz?  I found one in my neighborhood.  I haven't listened too long but I was able to drive around and I.D. the general street that the signal is coming from.  It's < 1.5 miles LOS from my discone.

A friend and I were thinking of some Chicom ripoff using the odd UHF frequency.  I searched Amazon but most seem to be using either WiFi or 2.4 Ghz RF -- and if they are using RF, most generally don't mention the frequency range.
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline autovon

• View Profile
Re: Room Monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 2215 UTC »
There are some overseas produced cordless phone bases in the 225-400 MHz range.  Could be something similar.   If the same thing, they ran a good amount of power.
Default RX location is Wisconsin using various wire antennas. Other RX will be noted.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 1037 UTC »
Back in the 80s I used to hear someone's cordless phone base unit (I believe this was on 1610 kHz or so?) from a distance of about 10 miles. Must have been a foreign model with a lot of power.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 1114 UTC »
Back in the 80s I used to hear someone's cordless phone base unit (I believe this was on 1610 kHz or so?) from a distance of about 10 miles. Must have been a foreign model with a lot of power.

Same here. Probably a bit lower than 1610 though.
These were definitely not legal where I lived.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 1528 UTC »

The old Midland cordless phones from the early-mid 80's used 1610kHz for the base to handset, and 49MHz fro handset to base. I turned mine into a radio station.

The base output apparently was coupled back in to the power line for antenna so I was able to pick it up several blocks away as long as I stayed in the same alley where the utility lines ran.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire